UK Music Forum - Wales News - UK Breaking News
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

UK Domain Forum : Google Blackmail

Thanks

Google Blackmail

Seen this in my webmaster tools today.....

"Recommendations

Create a Google+ page
    Creating a Google+ page brings you closer to your audience by letting you have real conversations with the right people, connecting you face to face, and making it easy for people to recommend you on Google search."

Basically if you don't promote our junk on your site, you won't do well on our search engine. This is exactly why there stupid social sites won't work because they are being spammed by seo teams. Will they ever learn......?

Thanks
    I've always wondered why Google places so much value on links (and I guess now G+ likes) when these can so easily be manipulated by the SEO's. As you suggest, we'll now have pages & pages of junk G+ pages cluttering up the indexes alongside the spam pages created just for link manipulation - Progress

Thanks
    Careful what you place on Google+ pages. You can end up getting outranked by your Google+ page for your own content or keywords. Google really seem to give a bonus in their SERPs to Google+.

Agree - it's pretty similar to blackmail

Thanks
    Interesting article today: Ex-Google employee says Google+ has ruined the company

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/14/tech...rant/index.htm

"My last three months working for Google was a whirlwind of desperation," wrote Whittaker, who headed an engineering team for social network Google+. "The Google I was passionate about was a technology company that empowered its employees to innovate. The Google I left was an advertising company with a single corporate-mandated focus."

Thanks
    Great find Jeff, it appears to mirror exactly what I am finding when searching round the web. I really hope that the EU takes a bite out of their backsides for those types of blackmailing statement. It really is shocking stuff and anti competitive.

Good to see Google staff deserting that sinking ship... they have gone all out to compete with facebook and its ripped the search engine stuff apart. I have analysed some of my sites and if done right facebook accounts for 70% of the traffic with Google only accounting for 20%.

Thanks
    I've commented on 'the greed machine' so many times - I don't think it will be long before they shoot themselves in the foot. That ex-employee sums it all up quite well I think. They shafted Simon and I when they arbitrarily cut off all PAID tokens to their AdWords API, which left DCE totally in the lurch without any notice. That move cost a few firms their existence. They gave us back the access but we'd moved over to Bing by then where we found the LSV numbers in their API more convincing, and the service is free.

Take a look here:

http://www.ukdomainforum.co.uk/showt...olume-nonsense

Thanks
    Be funny to watch as now they are completely corporate they will make more and more mistakes in search of profit. The more they lose the more they will try to make up for it and a vicious circle begins.

I know the thoughts is too big to fail, but how many times have I come across sites that were dominant at one time or another. eBay, at one time they were a massive selling portal, now barely notice them. Paypal used to be the only way for small online retailers, now merchant accounts are all over the place. I'm sure there are loads more companies out there that were dominant at one point or another and now an accessory rather than a must.

Just trying to weigh up now weather better to ban their bot from my sites and think that visitors know my brand now on a news site that they come direct. Benefits are that they don't go through Google and click competitors ads before they get to us because they will know we ain't there.

Thanks
    Although I've not been a MS fan for a long time, I have to remember back in the day when Bill Gates was writing BASIC interpreters (e.g. Tandy 100 'tablet' and Sharp PC-1500) and then MSDOS came out, which was the basis of a big earner for me at the time. I'm now becoming a fan of MS again and find myself using Bing more than Google, probably in part because G is firewalled out in China, but google.com.hk works fine - how daft is that?

Anyway, I digress. Google's failures could well benefit MS. Which is the greedier of the two I wonder?

Thanks
    Bloody hell they have gone banzai on us....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...like-Bing.html

Why as a website owner will I allow my content to appear on Google's site as if they wrote it. So visitors no longer need to come to my site?

Bot killing time I think now....

Thanks
    Check out the comments on that article - looks like there's going to be a lot more pissed-off people yet.