UK Music Forum - Wales News - UK Breaking News
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grantw View Post
    Everything they do these days seems to be about money.
    Absolutely - I wonder what the real costs of providing these various 'security' features are? I think they've looked at what they consider to be the potential pricing power of the gTLDs and decided they want some of the premium registration fee action. They only need to get a small percentage of .co.uk/org.uk registrants to buy the corresponding .uk domains and they've doubled their registration fee income (minus whatever cost of providing their address verification, malware scanning and dnssec - all of which I'd consider to be minimal). Application fees, auction fees etc are just a one-off bonus.

As far as the 'security' features are concerned, malware scanning is already present in some browsers - not sure what dnssec does - but in a world where people send money to strangers as a result of spam emails from 419 scammers, this isn't the panacea they are making it out to be. The address verification system also isn't fool proof - anyone who has nefarious intentions, is likely to do whatever is required to get a .uk domain if it confers trust benefits - indeed the supposed trust element might actually make users less vigilant when using a .uk, to their very real danger. I'm sure they've got a few fake/scam websites operating on .co.uk at the moment - if they can't keep one registry clean, what makes them think they'll be able to do so with .uk.

Eleanor Bradley says in the video that the other benefit of a new namespace is that it gives a chance for all the new businesses entering the internet space to 'have a suitable domain name, that reflects their business'. I think she is mistaken and naive where the name they'd like to reflect their business is a generic term. Premium generics will likely be purchased by existing registrants or domainers. Other businesses, may seek to buy their .uk domain simply as a blocking registration (where again, the only benefit is to the registry and whoever they buy the domain through).

Thanks
    There is also the problem that people (in general) completely fail to understand odds (which is why the lottery is so popular) so many people will think "now I have a chance at the .uk name I want" whereas in reality their chance of getting it went from 0.00% to perhaps 0.01% at best.

Thanks
    I have posted this up to propose a EGM over this, would be grateful if members who agreed with calling an EGM registered their interest on the form for us to get a view of the numbers and if it is possible. We need 5% of members votes to be able to call one.

http://www.that.co.uk/that-blog/call...t.html#mid_168

Thanks
    Update: 42 signatures calling for EGM since last night, some of whom I have never heard of and don't think they are domainers.

Thanks
    Does this mean .co.uk will be valued less

Thanks
    That is just one of the outcomes of this, other outcomes would be brand confusion, loss of business, loss of confidence in the .uk brand as a whole, legal battles, cyber squatting, not to mention UK businesses paying huge fees to keep their access to the UK business level extension

There are several different downsides and very few if any up sides.
    Last edited by GreyWing; 10-10-12 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    This was raised at Acorn and is used in Nominets own words:

Search for gov.co.uk

Error for "gov.co.uk".

This domain cannot be registered because it contravenes the Nominet UK
    naming rules. The reason is:
    third-level domains may not be identical to a UK second-level domain.

WHOIS lookup made at 12:23:55 17-Oct-2012

http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois/lookup?query=gov.co.uk

It seems their "rules" apply as and when it suits Nominet.