UK Music Forum - Wales News - UK Breaking News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks
    I don't see how it affects end-user sales? Not much, anyway. Before they had exactly 1 "serious" choice. If this goes ahead, they will have 1 or 2 "serious" choices (it's impossible to imagine .co.uk itself becoming insignificant given all the inertia of countless millions of businesses having to "rebrand"). And most/all niches have more than 2 companies in them... But it's definitely a bit of a mess. Hard to see how it CAN go ahead in its currently proposed form, but that's not the same as being certain it won't.

What it does signal is the final nail in the coffin for .org.uk being a remotely viable alternative.

Thanks
    Indeed mate, Nominet have a history that would make the EU's view on referendums look democratic. Don't vote the way we want, fine we'll tweak it a little and vote again and again and again until the the right answer comes back.

This will happen in some form..

Looks like Nominet got a taste for auctioning off domains and going back to the well for another drink. One good thing is that Sedo hold a lot of .uk's and won't want to see their portfolio ditched into the sea, might be good that they are on the board.

Thanks
    If this goes through, .org.uk's will be dropping like flies along with many .co.uk's, because in many cases it will potentially be no longer viable to hold anything less than top tier domains, as they will have lost their "uniqueness".

Which in turn could make it a somewhat pointless exercise for Nominet.

Thanks
    I would think cash flow issues would dampen the market for a while. Even if Nominet ends up giving .co.uk domain holders first dibs at .uk domains, at 20 per pop, that's 20,000 for a portfolio of 1000 domains - something that would need to be budgeted for in advance. If there are auctions between say .co.uk and .org.uk holders, then the cost could be much higher than 20 a pop.

Thanks
    Jeff, by the looks of it you wouldn't be allowed to bid because you aren't uk based.

How do you feel? Need I ask?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyWing View Post
    Jeff, by the looks of it you wouldn't be allowed to bid because you aren't uk based.

How do you feel? Need I ask?
    Yes, I saw that too! Thanks for bringing up the issue. Obviously, I think that's a real step backwards. The trend in cctlds has been to liberalise residency requirements. I would like to think that this requirement would be dropped just because so many international companies own .co.uk domains. E.g. Google.co.uk is registered to Google in the US - imagine if they could not obtain Google.uk. Even on a smaller level - say a mum & pop operation in Ireland wanted to expand into the UK - they would be barred from buying their relevant .uk domain, which makes no sense.

Thanks
    I copied this from Acorn but assume it has been copied directly from Nominet.....

"A staged release process for the domains, with registered rights holders’ applications considered in the first phase, then unregistered rights holders. All those using existing .co.uk, .org.uk etc domain names would be granted unregistered rights under the proposed plans. "

What constitutes using a domain ?

I'd say its time to start getting sites built on major domain assets.

Thanks
    Those people who have just paid out in the previous LL.co.uk must be peeing their pants. Took to the cleaners by Nominet..... Not to worry they might get the chance to bid in another auction to buy the LL.uk version. How happy they must be... Luckily though the people that will be most hurt by all this have the most money. That is something Nominet have not come up across before when proposing things like this.

Jeff, so you won't be buying anything in the next 5-6 months either then?

Thanks
    I think one just needs to have a UK address which is easily obtainable for a small recurring fee from numerous entities. Therefore I feel that the requirement to have a UK address in order to register a {example}.uk is a weak one. Short of someone from Nominet, or their authorised agent, personally visiting the address and meeting the registrant there, it seems to be an exercise that can be worked around by someone spending a little more time obtaining mail forwarding. This partially reminds me of the failure of the initial .pro third level gTLDs.

In respect of the requirement to operate a {example}.uk with DNS SEC I can see some sense in trying to push this technology if it is proven. However anyone can get DNS SEC on their .co.uk right now if they wish. It wouldn't be difficult for a .uk registrar to provide a service whereby they would offer to support a registrant getting their existing .co.uk domain names DNS SEC compliant.

In respect of putting a "badge" on the web site suggesting compliance,I feel anyone could duplicate that. A graphic shouldn't infer security if it can be copied.

Most people probably like the idea of shorter domain names. If the equivalent {example}.uk were offered free to each existing .co.uk registrant I am sure there would be a high level of take up. The roots of this project probably stem from Nominet itself worrying that it will stay relevant. The company has already branched out into other areas, such as providing new gTLD consultancy services, and I suspect that simply maintaining the status quo might be seen there as not doing enough. I wonder if management feel that they need to appear to be moving with the times by offering to open up {example}.uk with extra benefits in the face of potential new gTLDs. How much of this is about self preservation is something to consider.
    Last edited by invincible; 01-10-12 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    I have just posted on the Nominet members forum, not specifically about the proposal but more the fact they are going to taking 4-5 months to come to the next level of consultation.

https://forum.nominet.org.uk/

"Does it really have to take over 3-4 months to allow for submissions on the proposed .uk extension.

Apart from the specifics of the proposal, I have shelved all of my development plans for my current names and postponed several partnerships on the back of this until we know what is happening.

The best thing about the Nominet was the stability of the platform, for the first time I can't say that I know what is going on.

Even the proposal is causing confusion and alarm. 4-5 months of this is not in anyone's interests. The main problem is that there is no hint about what rights .co.uk .org.uk holders will have in brand protection."