UK Music Forum - Wales News - UK Breaking News
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thanks

Nominet consultation for new .uk domain name

The proposed new service, called direct.uk, is aimed at businesses and would potentially offer shorter domain names registered at the second level (i.e. www.yourbusiness.uk) as well as one of the most comprehensive package of security features available.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/lates...n-name-service

I seem to remember at some point in the past Nominet giving assurances that this would never happen.

Thanks
    I'm out in Xiangtan City eating moon cake right now but surely I'm reading this wrong?

Thanks
    You're not reading it wrong. It's worth taking the time to go through the proposal slowly and meticulously to see the full extent of what they're suggesting, then to formulate a calm, reasoned, logical, methodical counter-proposal (it WILL be a counter-proposal when you read all the details!)

I posted the below on Acorn and it definitely bears repeating so I've copied it across here...

I have just spent 90 minutes providing detailed feedback to every single question that gave the option of a response. If you have an opinion on the matter I'd advise you to do likewise, and to take the time to structure a measured, logical argument (no matter what case or point of view you're trying to put across) as this data will be collated and your responses could be excerpted in the public record.

I will not be drawn on what I wrote, because I believe the very last thing we need is for there to be any perception of "survey knobbling" i.e. for a bunch of similar responses to be received from one particular cohort (domainers) thereby tainting the perceived validity of all responses. But it shouldn't take much imagination to guess what I wrote, if you've followed any of the discussions over the years!

Indeed, I'd strongly urge that nobody discuss specifics too closely to avoid accidentally creating this "ganging up" impression and thereby weakening all our voices...

Thanks
    Edwin, do you recall Nominet ever giving an assurance in the past that this would not happen ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoco View Post
    Edwin, do you recall Nominet ever giving an assurance in the past that this would not happen ?
    Not in print, no. But they did on many occasions one-on-one when I was chatting with them. Although "never" is a long time - it was always couched as "no current plans" or similar.

Incidentally, there is a wealth of background information (page after page after page) provided as part of the survey process itself, but this is clearly only going to become apparent if you TAKE the survey! Each section has a lengthy introduction (expanding greatly on the very sketchy summary in the video) and there is more detail in the intro to some questions and in the answers that are suggested for multiple-selection questions. Thus, the only way to be fully informed about what the proposals consist of is to take the survey!

BTW, please don't make the mistake of assuming they're going to proceed in what dispassionate third parties would assume is the most logical way. If you read the whole thing, every question and answer, there are many suggestions that are counter-intuitive to the current and future commercial and other vested interests of existing .co.uk name holders. Basically (and not to pre-empt what Nominet explain at length) there are situations where the "winner" would be the Johnny come latelies who use .uk names vs all the "fools" (my word NOT theirs) who have spent 20 years and countless billions branding themselves on .co.uk.
    Last edited by Edwin; 01-10-12 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks
    Perhaps this is partly the reason that I have been seeing Nominet in my log files recently.

Are they collecting data to confirm if a domain is being used commercially, or made good use of ? So that when you apply for a .uk in the sunshine phase they will know the existing usage of your corresponding .co.uk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoco View Post
    Are they collecting data to confirm if a domain is being used commercially, or made good use of ? So that when you apply for a .uk in the sunshine phase they will know the existing usage of your corresponding .co.uk.
    That is one of the things in the survey, yes. But I don't want to pre-empt the lengthy and comprehensive explanation they give with a one sentence answer. So please read it for yourself (and that goes for everyone reading this thread!)

Thanks
    I'll set aside some time to read thoroughly and respond.

Thanks
    My apologies - it IS possible to see the full proposal without messing around with the online survey, if you look at the "paper" (i.e. PDF) version...
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/sites/defa...onic_form1.pdf

Thanks
    Doesn't matter what happens, this kind of speculation has put the .uk market is in limbo for the next 4-5 months till this reports. I'm not going to be buying anything in the next 4-5 months that is for sure.

If this gets anywhere close to becoming reality in its proposed form then I would imagine a EGM being called and the removal of the board, this could be that serious.