UK Music Forum - Wales News - UK Breaking News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

UK Domain Forum : Two Letter Market Insight

Thanks
    But there wasn't a market for facebook shares either mate, so I guess when you have something with no researchable established value you have to strip everything back to the important factors and I said this before the names went on the market....

i.e Assuming that it was a financial investment and not a name that was of personal importance to you, what are you going to do with the name? What are you going to do with anything you buy whether it is a name or not to get a return?

Thanks
    Well people presumed that they would be able to sell them for more than they have bought them, and from the sales I know off they've got more money than they paid for them every time. The market can't be bad if people are making a profit, and as you said there wasn't a market before so how do we know the market is bad for them?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Well people presumed that they would be able to sell them for more than they have bought them, and from the sales I know off they've got more money than they paid for them every time. The market can't be bad if people are making a profit,
    In terms of random LL's I only know of this one that has gone to a true valuation on an open market. There was another one last year / maybe early this year where it was ended on DL for a bit of shill bidding. The other point is that nobody (or very few) is really going to say that they sold an LL privately and lost money on it.

By the way though people need to remember those auction sales reported for Nominet's auctions were plus VAT. Domainlore's do not charge VAT, the seller has to take the hit on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    and as you said there wasn't a market before so how do we know the market is bad for them?
    I'd say in answer to that, because they hit at least reseller market rate at auction. Non trademark auctions were open to anyone to apply, I don't really see who these people thought they were going to sell them too bearing in mind that anyone who would have been bothered had already showed they weren't bothered or weren't willing to pay more than the original buyer in the auction. Catch 22 as far as selling them on was concerned.

Of course if they had someone in mind to sell it to once they had bought it, then now you are entering DRS territory. So whichever way you square it, the odds are well and truly stacked against you.

But to add another reason to your question above. I wouldn't personally go around investing in stuff because I didn't have a reason not too. Again personal preference but I'd rather invest in things where I had a clear reason too.

I do understand other people's points of view on it but if you go back 12 months and look at generics available on forums to buy for the 2,000 mark (which was cheap for an LL) you could have had some great buys and made websites out of them.
    Last edited by GreyWing; 01-09-12 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks
    Just to add to my post, I didn't rate LL.co.uk's in the first place .

Thanks
    You've just stolen my thunder mate..... god dam it

Have I been trolled haha, we need some more bans giving out on this site

Thanks
    The same seller has just posted UJ.co.uk for sale on DomainLore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by atlas View Post
    The same seller has just posted UJ.co.uk for sale on DomainLore.
    I think he wants out mate... as one of the earlier ones to jump ship he should be better placed than the others.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyWing View Post
    I think he wants out mate... as one of the earlier ones to jump ship he should be better placed than the others.
    I think you are right Graeme - he has just posted WY.co.uk for sale as well.

Thanks
    I don't have a strong opinion either way on the value of 2-letter .co.uk names at this point (too early to tell) but I certainly believe that DL auctions promoted to Acorn and a few other "insider" places are not a particularly good way to judge value, especially given how far some of the prices of domains (in general) have fallen on DL recently.

That pattern is not reflected in the prices I'm seeing end-users paying, and it just goes to emphasize the ocean-wide gulf between "domainer fire-sale" prices (where people are after bigger and bigger and bigger "bargains") and real-world prices.

Thanks
    UJ.co.uk just closed at 900 - looks like it was bought for 930.

After taking VAT into account, I would think that's a fair sized loss in such a short time.

900 seems to be the floor value for a random combination of LL.co.uk so far.