UK Music Forum - Wales News - UK Breaking News
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

UK Domain Forum : Windows 8 Anyone

Thanks
    Maybe it's time for MS to make a comeback with Win 8. See announcement here regarding Samsung's new Win 8 Mobile smartphone, the 'Ativ S':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19416969

Thanks
    Probably the best of both worlds:

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/windows...nches-version/

Thanks
    Have had it running on virtualbox on a Mac Mini for a week or so now, slowly getting used to it, still not convinced by the metro home screen though

Thanks
    Anyone tried it on a dual screen system?

Thanks
    If you think back down the mainstream versions (i.e. ignoring the "NT fork") then Windows 8 feels very much like the "unloved Windows" that seems to appear every other iteration or so. Previously, it was Vista and before that it was ME. If the whole concept of an "operating system" survives that long - i.e. we're not doing everything in the cloud - then Windows 9 should be much more appealing MS can remove all the Metro nonsense, patch up a few more bits and pieces and present it as Windows 9...

Windows 3.0
    Windows 3.11
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8

It's worth bearing in mind that Windows XP is nearly 11 years old, yet it's still the OS of choice for about 25% of all PCs! Meanwhile, Vista's only on about 3.5% of machines despite being much newer...
    Last edited by Edwin; 30-08-12 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks
    Can't believe you missed windows 2000 off that list! Probably my favourite OS of all. ...Ahh I guess 2000 would count as an "nt fork" .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Can't believe you missed windows 2000 off that list! Probably my favourite OS of all. ...Ahh I guess 2000 would count as an "nt fork" .
    Yep, I was counting it as an NT fork, because the 2 strands were only really unified with XP.

Thanks
    Now Windows 8 has gone gold I thought I'd point out that several companies, acknowledged by Microsoft, have developed "start menu" applications for it. Start8 ($4.99 from Stardock) and Classic Shell (free, see Sourceforge) are just two available. Both, as well as others I have not mentioned, can be configured to give a Windows 7 like start menu in Windows 8 as well as a lot more besides. Start8 allows the user to configure Windows 8 to boot straight to the desktop rather than into modern UI. Worth a look for anyone consider Windows 8 but currently put off by the modern UI.