UK Music Forum - Wales News - UK Breaking News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UK Domain Forum : Windows 8 Anyone

Thanks

Windows 8 Anyone

Has anyone used the Windows 8 yet, and if so is it or will it be worth upgrading.

Paul

Thanks
    Microsoft gone off their rocker for me. Won't be upgrading in anyway shape or form. Might go over to Apple when product drivers and support drops off.

Thanks
    It looks scary! It took me long enough to move from Windows 2000 -> Vista (I skipped XP), and I'm now comfortable with windows 7. May consider going linux/apple depending on what happens. Linux may be more suitable and stable for me as a php developer, but to be honest I'm happy with Windows 7 at the moment.

Thanks
    To quote someone in the know on another site... "They want to turn my 1000 pc into a 200 xbox"

Seems to be what everyone else is saying.

Thanks
    The only version of Windows I use (and only on a virtual machine basis) is XP Pro, as IMO it is the most stable version of Windows and probably will remain so. Otherwise I'm all Mac OS and Linux.

Thanks
    I keep meaning to install it on my laptop, however, I have a "physical" project at the moment so need to be able to connect to the customer domain and do "real" computer work rather than the usual web stuff, so have put off the update. From what I've seen. I'm still on the fence. The current customer decided to go with Win 7 and do the project now rather than wait for Win 8, I guess a lot of others will do likewise, however, we'll soon see new computers with Win 8 out of the box, so I guess it will soon get lots of interest from the public as their mates upgrade their home computers.

Thanks
    Windows 8, at the moment, is something you will probably only wish to install on a dedicated machine for playing with it or more ideally within a virtual machine. I have a copy of VMWare Workstation 8 for Windows but Oracle VM Virtualbox is free. A while ago I installed the Windows 8 "Consumer Preview" edition within VMWare and played around with it. More recently I installed the later "Windows 8 Release Preview" edition within Parallels Desktop 8 because I finally decided to buy a Mac Mini despite not being a fan of the OS. I find Mountain Lion to be much of an improvement since my Tiger and Leopard days.

For anyone wanting to purchase Parallels Desktop version 8 (this is a MacOS product), you can get it for a substantially discounted 19.99 if you search on Google for "VMware fusion serial" because Parallels simply validate the serial number as correctly formatted and allow their competing product to be purchased at this discounted price. VMWare Fusion 4 can also be purchased from VMware for around 30. Once installed Parallels 8 even includes a link to directly download the Release Preview edition of Windows 8 to be installed directly it into a virtual machine.

We can criticise Windows 8 but I imagine most of us will adopt it at varying speeds. I'm getting used to it but won't be in a massive hurry.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by invincible View Post
    We can criticise Windows 8 but I imagine most of us will adopt it at varying speeds. I'm getting used to it but won't be in a massive hurry.
    I think that might be Microsofts strategy in all this, hold fire take the crticism and people will eventually come over due to lack of choice if nothing else. Only thing is though that it might not wash these days. I'll probably try Apple's desktop software before I try windows 8. Never used apple before but if current software is going for a radical change on the Microsoft side then I might take the plunge and start to learn Apple's OS.

I really don't want to but if Microsoft insist on going down this path, I don't think I personally will be going with them until I have tried Apple. People often say once they get into Apple they never go back.
    Last edited by GreyWing; 21-08-12 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks
    Assuming there's no gigantic unpatched security breach to put me off, I don't see why I wouldn't just keep using Windows 7 "forever". I browse the web (Firefox, Chrome, Opera and IE), watch videos and iPlayer, use Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Pegasus Mail, Skype, various text editors and HTML tools, Paint.net, etc. - none of which will ever need something more complex than Windows 7 offers. Having ample opportunity to "touch" things (iPad and iPhone) I can't see why I'd ever need my regular PC to have a touch-sensitive user interface.

Thanks
    That being said Edwin and I fully agree, that should see the sale of PC's dropping in the coming months / years as people ask the guy down at PC world to take windows 8 off their new PC or they won't be buying it. So the question would then be, will it be adopted by the hardware manufacturers as the default OS? Very embarrassing if they stuck with 7.