PDA

View Full Version : FAO of Rob

GreyWing
28-06-12, 11:10 PM
Hi mate,

Seen your post in a thread on acorn about Wordpress being supreme to Joomla.

With Joomla 1.0 (4 years ago) you were right
1.5 (3 years ago) it was a coin flip over which was best.
2.5 (went live this year) is the all singing dancing arse kicking version.

If you get time to try the new joomla it's awesome. It's a juggernaut compared to a 3 wheel van in terms of what it can do over wordpress.

lethal0r
02-07-12, 03:32 PM
what about for smaller sites? what does joomla bring? I use wordpress lots but always on the lookout for ways to improve.

GreyWing
02-07-12, 08:29 PM
Hard to say if there is big difference lower down now mate because I don't know wordpress all that much. Infact the whole wordpress thing baffles me and that is probably my issues than their's.

The main bit is that Joomla can do much much more if you want to scale it up past anything other than a blog type site. My site over at that.co.uk (http://www.that.co.uk) took 3 days to build, cost less than £80 in extras and can do just about whatever I need for it. I paid directory system for people to list sites, a ticket system for content writing, a social system that is a clone of facebook's workings inside Joomla, an invoice system and a credits system for running balances.

You can also rip the heart out of joomla with something called "K2" which bypasses the way joomla places its articles and gives it a lot more features. Advanced module manager gives control over ads appearing on what pages. All these extras are frree, but I guess you need to know what to add into Joomla to make it fly. But once you know what to install it is a juggernaut to a fly to compare them both.

The whole thing is a lot more seo friendly, that used to be Joomla's biggest problem and why a few people hated it. All that has changed and features are in place for that now.

lethal0r
03-07-12, 05:34 PM
sounds very good for a complex site. thanks for that reply i'll give joomla a try should i require more.

rob
05-07-12, 10:01 AM
Will take another look :)

Thanks for the heads up :)

GreyWing
05-07-12, 10:18 AM
No problem, what I found helped was to have a look in the back end of a working site and see how it is done.

So if you want to have a look at one of my projects just give me a shout.