PDA

View Full Version : Mayor.co.uk

davedevelopment
24-06-12, 08:51 AM
Picked this up on the drop yesterday, wondering what your thoughts are.

Some of you know me and I don't usually hold on to domains, I like the hunt and the quick flips, but my missus is nagging at me to hold on to a few and buy my time and Ratboy tweeted at me saying I should hold on to it, so I'm wondering if I should maybe hold on to it...

So in the interests of appraisal, how much would you expect it to go for, if I pushed it to domainlore tomorrow, and how much do you think it could go for if I held on and waited for the right person to come along? I see Atlas has the plural for sale at around £2k.

Kate
24-06-12, 09:21 AM
NOt an expert but i do know that we were after that domain. Really like it and would do as your wife advises and hold on and wait for a good offer. Do you put your domains on Sedo?

davedevelopment
24-06-12, 09:55 AM
I generally don't put my domains on Sedo, I don't really like the way they do business. Will put my own holding page up when I get a chance.

atlas
24-06-12, 02:05 PM
No surprise, I was after that one too :)

I definitely think it's worth holding.

I think that the singular is worth more than the plural.

GreyWing
24-06-12, 02:18 PM
Nice catch Dave, great name and if you don't need the cash it is worth holding on to especially as our politicians are trying to push the executive Mayoral system onto local areas.

davedevelopment
25-06-12, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I'm going to man up and keep it, at least for a good while.

Karl
26-06-12, 09:33 PM
Yep i noticed it already had a pre-bid on domainlore so always a good sign.

invincible
26-06-12, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I'm going to man up and keep it, at least for a good while.

How, if at all, do you actually believe the domain name could be turned into a money making venture?

davedevelopment
26-06-12, 11:37 PM
How, if at all, do you actually believe the domain name could be turned into a money making venture?

I don't have any ideas I believe in right now.

invincible
26-06-12, 11:41 PM
I don't have any ideas I believe in right now.

Okay. Can you envisage reasons why anyone, that isn't a domainer, might want it? The one that sprang to mind is a mayoral candidate somewhere with a humongous ego wanting it for his/her campaign domain name. Most would probably want a close derivative of their personal name though.

davedevelopment
27-06-12, 12:00 AM
I
Okay. Can you envisage reasons why anyone, that isn't a domainer, might want it? The one that sprang to mind is a mayoral candidate somewhere with a humongous ego wanting it for his/her campaign domain name. Most would probably want a close derivative of their personal name though.

Only slim reasons, like a mayoral candidate, check-in style site, branding. I think I appreciate where you are going with this, its likely that a big pay off wont present itself, but what are you suggesting my course of action should be? Is it likely that I wont be able to fetch the same price on the reseller market in the future as I would now?

invincible
27-06-12, 07:19 PM
I

Only slim reasons, like a mayoral candidate, check-in style site, branding. I think I appreciate where you are going with this, its likely that a big pay off wont present itself, but what are you suggesting my course of action should be? Is it likely that I wont be able to fetch the same price on the reseller market in the future as I would now?

I think it depends why you registered it? Was it because there was nothing else worth going for on the day and it was a dictionary word? Can you directly make anything from it that means you'd want to hold onto it? Perhaps sift through all the companies listed at Companies House with "mayor" in their name and contact those you deem worthwhile.

Some people involved in domain name catching get caught up in the moment. Two weeks after they've moved onto the next name that's dropping. It isn't always about the actual name, more of the rush of catching it or winning it at an auction. Funds that potential buyers might have access to today won't necessarily exist in the future if they have been swallowed up by other purchases or changes in circumstance.

Finally your personal circumstance. Are you in the money or are things falling to bits around you.

Band
27-06-12, 07:42 PM
http://www.electrocity.co.nz/

Keep it or sell it now and get £1500.

Marcoose
03-07-12, 12:33 AM
I was after this too. This is not advice but if I were in your shoes, I would start the domainlore auction off with the healthy £200 prebids.

Ty
03-07-12, 07:57 PM
I think it has an appeal as it's a short memorable dictionary word, but it's not a name I'd put much value on or buy personally.

There are zero advertisers for "Mayor" for instance, so I can't imagine who would want to rank for the term in the UK only market?

I'd be quite surprised if it topped low-mid £xxx on DL, but then you can never tell who is out there...

Nice catch though, and worth cranking the DAC for even at the £200 DL prebid, so nice work :)

Ty

aZooZa
03-07-12, 08:12 PM
The potential is there for a brand, and not much else IMO. But as a brand, it's ultra-solid, and I'd be looking at low x,xxx and advertise it as a brandable on all relevant sites. Great catch Dave. I wouldn't risk it on DL to just make £500 or whatever unless you're keen to sell it quickly.

davedevelopment
03-07-12, 09:15 PM
Again, thanks for your opinions fella's, it's nice to see a decent bit of feedback in an appraisal thread, this is why I asked over here and not elsewhere. My gut feeling is that is that it wont make much at DL right now, I may get lucky if someone fancies it for their brand, and if not, maybe I'll come up with something that needs a 'brand' and it may fit the bill. On the pile!

GreyWing
03-07-12, 09:57 PM
Don't forget mate that a lot of people will have it for a surname, always makes it valuable especially if they come to you.