PDA

View Full Version : Touch of research before going live...

GreyWing
18-06-12, 01:57 AM
Hi Guys,

Just in the final touches of relaunching the new that.co.uk, it's going to focus on the selling of .uk websites. Trying to stay away from domains on this one and focus more on the sale of websites that are ranked. The site is free to use for buyers and sellers...

Just wondering before it goes live what fields you want to see a website list, page rank, earnings etc... Be easier for me to add and change now before it does launch so if you know of any extra fields to narrow down the search as a buyer, please give me a shout by posting below.

This is a test listing http://www.that.co.uk/component/content/article/36-websites-for-sale/finance/253-easy-loans.html

Other site options are not connected yet, will be done shortly and launched just after.

Things we have at the moment

30 day listings for websites... maybe brought down to 15 depending on how it goes.

Only sellers that we feel are serious about selling will be listed, so no I-wanna-loan_now-dont-wanna-pay-back.co.uk with no history of earnings and someone asking £50k for it will be allowed on the site. Quality not quantity on this one. Decision on what to list made by 3 experienced individuals (I am not one) and they vote is the seller is realistic or not.

The site is not an auction, it is a listing site. Too hard to keep shill bidding off so auction wouldn't have credibility.

Zero commission for sellers and buyers

Using a short url like that.co.uk to bring in some end users and try and install a bit of credibility to end users.

Anything else people want to see, again please drop me a line.

Cheers
GW

atlas
18-06-12, 02:55 AM
Hi Graeme,

I like the idea at lot and think it has legs.

Graphically, I find the listing appealing.

Some thoughts about improving it:

* it would be great if the that.co.uk were strictly limited to UK websites - that may be what you're already intending to do
* you've got a domain first registered field - I'd be more interested in when the website was actually launched
* current ranking in Google can fluctuate a lot and is easy to check - I'm not sure this is needed

For me the biggest thing in buying a website is making sure the seller is telling the truth about his website. If that.co.uk could verify traffic and/or income that would be great. I don't really know how feasible that is.

Also, with Panda and Penguin, long term traffic stats are important. As a buyer I want to see a breakdown of traffic each month so I can see if it dropped when there was a Penguin or a major Panda update.

Good luck with this. I think there is a real need for a quality UK website in this niche.

aZooZa
19-06-12, 10:15 AM
Looking good Graeme. You could always use DCE for grabbing more metrics. Also, you could ask sellers to make extra DNS entries for verification. I agree with Jeff; it's almost there but needs just a little more...

GreyWing
19-06-12, 02:53 PM
Cheers Dale and Jeff,

Some great points there, I'll probably have a chat with you shortly before it goes fully live Dale and about using DCE to get some metrics for the sites.

Jeff,

Yes mate it will be .uk focused and only .uk extensions
I was thinking of adding that (website start date) as well, but just wondering how to get an accurate date for that. Might have to just do on trust, i know archive.org will show some stuff but doesn't always show data when the site first went live. Sometimes not showed some of mine for up to a year after launch.

I'll also drop the Google ranking question....

Was thinking of having a penguin bin for those affected by penguin and wanting to just get rid of. But that kind of says that the stuff not in the penguin bargain bin has not been affected by penguin when some of them will have been.

We were thinking of verifying some sites, maybe it would be at a cost of £15 or something but I guess sellers would be able to get that back on the sale price. Though will probably need to have a word with Dale about how his metrics could help us do that. Also we'd have to look into the liabilities of giving someone a guarantee and adding certain disclaimers.

There will be a sellers feedback system in there too,

Should be live pretty soon and looking for some guinea pigs.. :D if anyone has something they want to sell.

Cheers
GW

Mojoco
19-06-12, 03:27 PM
Good idea Graeme definitely a gap in the market for this.

How are you going to promote the site ?

I'd list some sites but obviously would need to know that you have an audience to sell to.

GreyWing
19-06-12, 03:50 PM
Hi Mo,

Mostly word of mouth whilst we iron out a couple of bugs..... I hope people will feel free to try without consequence as there is no charge and no reserve, no requirement to redirect your site to us.

Not sure how big the audience will be to start with, should imagine it will be those that are curious but I do know that there are a few who are looking to make investments in buying sites. But would imagine that it must be a step up a little from trying to fire sale on acorn which some good sites have already done.

One thing I am wondering about though is if people want their listing to be blocked by a robots file.

Also all enquiries go directly to the website owner and not to that.co.uk

Cheers
GW

atlas
21-06-12, 11:51 PM
I've been thinking a lot about this Graeme. There is definitely a hole in the market right now. At the low end, full of spam and scams, is Flippa. At the high end, and I believe over priced, are brokers like Latonas. I think someone could make a good profit with a marketplace/brokerage (not necessarilyt limited to .uk) that offered worthwhile websites at reasonable prices.

GreyWing
22-06-12, 01:08 AM
Cheers Jeff

I think you are right about the market having a vacancy for such a project. I'd love to be able to offer something worldwide, but I don't have the knowledge of worldwide extensions nor do I have the domain name to give me a credibility kick start to run it from on the .com platform. In my opinion such a service would need to be run from a .com platform.

The kind of model I am running this one on would be domainlore. Although not a auction site the similarities would be close with regards having quality criteria. Some may say that Denys has pissed off people / domain regulars with his domain valuations in which are gems and premium names etc but one thing is for sure is that domains do sell through it and people go back regularly to see what is selling. Compared to of course Sedo where I haven't browsed in years.

This one may evolve in the coming years to include UK focused websites on the .com, but guess it depends on the guidance I get from the sellers and buyers. I am totally open to providing whatever service people want. But kind of wary of branching past the USP aspect of a UK focused site.

GreyWing
24-06-12, 05:56 AM
Right, finally live and ready to go.

Paul has kindly listed a test site and said it was easy to do, although we has used some of the software before.

Any problems though please drop me a line on here or in email.......

Cheers
GW

MikeJDS
24-06-12, 10:21 AM
Congrats on launching the site - hope it goes well.

I see you have a listing on there.
Some important info could be missing for any buyers.
The site listed is clearly an FSB site and anyone purchasing it would require a licence. (there is no mention of that)
Maybe a 'licence' parameter would be useful.

Looking forward to seeing how the site grows.

Best wishes
Mike

secname
24-06-12, 10:43 AM

The site listed is clearly an FSB site and anyone purchasing it would require a licence. (there is no mention of that)

Best wishes
Mike

Yeah thats a good point actually, adding a licence field would be beneficial.

atlas
24-06-12, 02:07 PM
Congrats and good luck!

GreyWing
24-06-12, 02:41 PM

Best wishes
Mike

Cheers Mike, great point and have just added that to the site. I have added "FSB License Required" as an option but if there are multiple different software options that require a license I will just add the "license" option to the listing questions. Also someone asked that I add the "exacts" option, so adding that too.

Congrats and good luck!

Cheers Jeff,

GreyWing
24-06-12, 03:22 PM
A couple of people have asked for it to be replicated for domain names, I was trying to use the USP of websites only. Anyone else have any thoughts about adding the .uk domain section?

secname
24-06-12, 04:31 PM
i wouldnt add domain names to it at the moment due to it being a headache trying to appraise/price them to please everyone. If you keep it websites only then the website stats/revenue etc will let a website basically price itself.

highlander
26-06-12, 04:33 PM
Good luck with the relaunch Graeme

Is the idea to have analytics and detailed earnings provided after contact is made via the 'make enquiry' button? Who would then supply these, the seller or the that.co.uk team?

Just wondering if this would be covered as part of the pre-screen work by your team. I appreciate more work but may make the process more fluent.

GreyWing
26-06-12, 09:23 PM
Hi Jamie

Cheers mate,

When you list a site, it will ask for you to fill in as much detail as you can. The only thing we do with a listing is take a screen shot of your site and check the listing for bad language etc. Apart from that everything comes from the listing.

It maybe later down the line we start to verify claims such as earnings and things but I'd imagine that we'd have a charge a fee to add a type of "verified by that.co.uk" to it.

Cheers
GW

GreyWing
03-07-12, 12:04 PM
Good idea Graeme definitely a gap in the market for this.

How are you going to promote the site ?

I'd list some sites but obviously would need to know that you have an audience to sell to.

Hi Mo,

Forgot to mention as well that I point all my undeveloped domain names at that.co.uk So the site gets 1200 page views a day across 800 domains.

Yep, think I should have mentioned that earlier... lol

atlas
05-07-12, 04:32 PM
Graeme - I found a decent article here you may find helpful:
http://adsenseflippers.com/flipping-websites/the-problem-with-flippa/

It outlines some of the problems with Flippa, some possible solutions, and some angles for competing with Flippa.