PDA

View Full Version : WordPress - dodgy plug-ins and themes - heads up

crabfoot
26-05-12, 12:31 AM
Some people have been exploiting the fact that you don't need tech knowledge to use wordpress, like you don't need to be a mechanic to drive a car.

This chappie here highlights a number of abominable plugins (http://www.workinghomeguide.com/13666/google-penguin-targeted-many-wordpress-blogs-with-hidden-links-in-pluginsthemes) in his post, but a mate of mine tells me that the problem with themes is wider than suggested there, because a lot of carefully crafted themes only show their dodgy links to the search engine spiders - that's the magic of PHP, try to check for yourself and the theme "looks clean".

WordPress? Never touch the stuff, myself ...

aZooZa
26-05-12, 01:25 AM
Bloody nightmare. I've just checked a theme I'm working with using the TAC plugin, and it's highlighted a few base64-encoded lines that won't decode externally. More time to waste hunting down crap like this.

secname
26-05-12, 07:03 PM
i have just checked a theme and found 13 hidden links, cheeky swines. I have emailed the theme author and asked why wasnt i made aware.

GreyWing
26-05-12, 11:11 PM
Worst I had was one on Joomla that was a plugin for adsense, one in every x amount of pages it would come in with their adsense code instead of mine.

I informed Joomla's download directory and they deleted it from their site within 24 hours and marked it as fraud. Got to be careful, no such thing as a free lunch.

lethal0r
31-05-12, 10:03 PM
wow I had no idea this kind of thing was so prevalent. that must be nigh on impossible to police.

Aiden Roberts
01-06-12, 07:56 AM
I just wish I knew how to check them, no idea what I am looking for?

More homework.

Aiden

crabfoot
01-06-12, 01:38 PM
I just wish I knew how to check them, no idea what I am looking for?

Reading ability, perhaps? Or learning to take a hint?

aZooZa mentioned "using the TAC plugin" - now where did he find out about that? Perhaps from the link in the first post?

Nobody is going to spoon feed you, kiddo, that's part of the learning process.

Aiden Roberts
01-06-12, 01:54 PM
Reading ability, perhaps? Or learning to take a hint?

aZooZa mentioned "using the TAC plugin" - now where did he find out about that? Perhaps from the link in the first post?

Nobody is going to spoon feed you, kiddo, that's part of the learning process.

A bit harsh if you dont mind me saying, I wasnt asking for help I was making a statement and I did say " more homework". Thanks for the heads up though but I suspect I still wont understand what I am looking at even if I find something.
Aiden

crabfoot
01-06-12, 05:50 PM
I've taken your post as a question. As a comment, it contributes nothing to the discussion. You're lucky it wasn't deleted by the Admin.

Harsh?

Which do you prefer - a vaguely sarcastic but helpful answer, or the loooong silence which preceded it?

Aiden Roberts
01-06-12, 06:30 PM
OK crabfoot I will take that on the chin, enjoy the rest of your day.

Aiden

GreyWing
01-06-12, 07:36 PM
Aiden you might want to try this as a general rule to see if there are any links coming out of your sites, it won't show you which pages but will show you if you have a problem or not..

http://www.wintzell.net/seo-tools/domain-outbound-links-check.php

Aiden Roberts
01-06-12, 08:02 PM
Thanks GreyWing much appreciated I will take a look.

Thanks again

Aiden