PDA

View Full Version : FaceBook IPO

GreyWing
18-05-12, 04:01 PM
Few days to pull in the suckers then this stock will drop like an overweight pig. 100% sure as night follows day this will die on its backside.

aZooZa
18-05-12, 04:03 PM
Absolutely. Just tweeted same. Preposterous really.

GreyWing
18-05-12, 04:10 PM
Thing is mate, once the momentum (share price) is on the downward spiral the whole thing becomes uncool. Then users stop using it also, if I knew how short selling worked I'd be off short selling these to high heaven.

aZooZa
18-05-12, 04:17 PM
Thing is mate, once the momentum (share price) is on the downward spiral the whole thing becomes uncool. Then users stop using it also, if I knew how short selling worked I'd be off short selling these to high heaven.
The 'put' market will be open real soon. Tomorrow's trading I'm guessing.

atlas
18-05-12, 05:07 PM
Good article about it here:

http://danariely.com/2012/05/16/the-facebook-ipo-a-note-to-mark-zuckerberg-or-with-friends-like-morgan-stanley-who-needs-enemies/

accelerator
18-05-12, 06:54 PM
I didn't want to buy any Facebook stock in the IPO as I'd rather watch it for a while and see how it does with revenue generation from Advertising. I much prefer Google's search model for ad revenue generation.

Did anyone here buy any stock?

Rgds

FagEnd
18-05-12, 11:38 PM
I wish I had the cash to buy a load of IPO shares and then dump them after a few hours trading. I had a feeling the price would soar for a while then drop back. No idea why the valuation is so high, I've never used facebook so I don't really understand the hype. Sure, it's worth a few bob but nowhere near $100bn +
Give it another few months and the share price will level out at around 10% of current value and lots of people will have lost a fortune.

aZooZa
19-05-12, 01:27 AM
I wish I had the cash to buy a load of IPO shares and then dump them after a few hours trading. I had a feeling the price would soar for a while then drop back. No idea why the valuation is so high, I've never used facebook so I don't really understand the hype. Sure, it's worth a few bob but nowhere near $100bn +
Give it another few months and the share price will level out at around 10% of current value and lots of people will have lost a fortune.
One comment on the blog that Jeff posted sums it up for me:

The real losers are the personal investors thinking about long term holdings who will end up paying the price for the exits of the smart VCs and institutional investors who dump the stock within 48 hrs.

I'm all for acquisitions; exits, mergers, flotations and IPOs etc - but the sums involved here are obscene. I'll be a lot happier once I see which charities Zuckerberg decides to support; and support VERY generously. A fraction of the sort of money he'll be holding would be life-changing for abused and needy animals (add your favourite charitable cause here).

FagEnd
19-05-12, 02:11 AM
You can't really demand that someone should be a philanthropist just because they have shitloads of money. It's good if they decide to do good things with their obscene amount of wealth, but at the end of the day, it's their money and they can do what they please with it. I still wouldn't mind a small slice for myself :)

aZooZa
19-05-12, 05:24 AM
As expected: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18115914

rob
19-05-12, 12:34 PM
Its basically pump and dump.

$10-15 a share this time next year if reality sets in.

Anyone want to buy a .mobi?

FagEnd
19-05-12, 09:51 PM
Its basically pump and dump.

$10-15 a share this time next year if reality sets in.

Anyone want to buy a .mobi?

I'll be very surprised if they are trading at that level next year, unless they come out with a unique marketing technique to monetise their userbase, but people don't like being marketed to on any level so they will drop facebook just like that if they feel they are being exploited. Happened with friendsreunited, happened with myspace and it will happen with facebook. Not a stock I would invest in. I'd rather plough my cash into google stocks because they are not evil :)

atlas
20-05-12, 02:55 AM
Facebook could do well if they use their huge cash reserves to make intelligent acquisitions. They could buy a browser (maybe Opera) to get some lock in to their platform, and could buy a search engine (perhaps Blekko or DuckDuckGo) to compete with Google and further solidify lock-in to their platform.

aZooZa
20-05-12, 09:26 PM
Facebook could do well if they use their huge cash reserves to make intelligent acquisitions. They could buy a browser (maybe Opera) to get some lock in to their platform, and could buy a search engine (perhaps Blekko or DuckDuckGo) to compete with Google and further solidify lock-in to their platform.
Absolutely spot on. A browser and search engine would make complete sense, and perhaps contribute a little to what will no doubt be a relatively meagre bottom line in the forthcoming financials. They have the 'bums on seats' and I'm sure there'd be plenty of advertisers for those new tools. Why, they could even try and be as greedy as Google!

Facebook still have the clout to woo many potential domain registrants over to their FB 'page' model instead of a traditional website - I wonder how that will evolve too.

atlas
22-05-12, 01:13 AM
Facebook shares lose 11% on Nasdaq's best day in five months:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/facebook-closes-second-session-down-11-2012-05-21
Surprise ;)

rob
22-05-12, 01:04 PM
Good post atlas - as its context to the market that counts.

Any idiot can make cash in a rising market / gap etc. Just see domains :)

atlas
23-05-12, 02:14 AM
Things go from bad to worse:
http://www.businessinsider.com/exclusive-heres-the-inside-story-of-what-happened-on-the-facebook-ipo-2012-5

Earlier, we reported that the analysts at Facebook's IPO underwriters had cut their estimates for the company in the middle of the IPO roadshow, a highly unusual and negative event.

What we didn't know was why.

Now we know.

The analysts cut their estimates because a Facebook executive told them to, a source tells us.

The information about the estimate cut was then verbally conveyed to sophisticated institutional investors who were considering buying Facebook stock, but not to smaller investors.

As they say: "Wall Street is a party, and you're not invited."

GreyWing
23-05-12, 04:11 AM
I know a few are complaining that they weren't told about predicted falls in q2 revenue and only larger investors were given the nod. I just don't follow that, I wasn't given any extra information and sure nobody on here was and we all saw that this thing would go the way it did.

The pure stupidity of those who bought into this stock was endless. Why anyone would think it was a good idea to buy into a company that had a value of 100 times it's last revenue is beyond me.

No doubt these people will blame someone for not telling them that investing would be a bad idea and quickly call the nearest lawyer in the hope of flushing more cash down the toilet.

One quick note though, once the share price has dropped enough, out comes rumours of the FB search engine and it blips upwards again to bring in more suckers before falling again.

aZooZa
24-05-12, 12:37 AM
My tech stock tip for a 3-year hold: NXP Semiconductor (NXPI). When smartphones take a massive share of the plastic credit/debit card business with NFC technology, NXP will be a leading player. They make the kit and have the patents. Disclosure: I don't own any (yet).

Screw Facebook - what a debacle.

rob
05-06-12, 06:28 PM
$26 now...and heading down!

aZooZa
06-06-12, 02:55 AM
Now there's talk of a Facebook phone and an acquisition of the 'Opera' browser. Who the hell is advising this board? I might be 60 years old now, but I'm pretty bloody sure that a Facebook phone would be regarded as totally naff by their younger (and of course, older) users. I wouldn't be seen dead with anything branded like that.

aZooZa
13-06-12, 01:44 PM
My tech stock tip for a 3-year hold: NXP Semiconductor (NXPI). When smartphones take a massive share of the plastic credit/debit card business with NFC technology, NXP will be a leading player. They make the kit and have the patents. Disclosure: I don't own any (yet).

Screw Facebook - what a debacle.
Hmmm....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18409560

rob
31-07-12, 12:54 PM
23.15$

down another 2% today.

aZooZa
31-07-12, 01:42 PM
And embarrassing losses for the market-makers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/31/ubs-earnings-q2-2012_n_1722339.html?utm_hp_ref=business

aZooZa
01-08-12, 12:23 AM
$21.61. Look for all the insider dumping that starts mid-August.

Mojoco
01-08-12, 09:50 AM
Google acquires Wildfire, the Facebook-focused marketing startup

Wildfire, the social media startup that’s making huge strides in online marketing — Facebook marketing in particular — has just been snapped up by Google for an undisclosed price.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/31/google-acquires-wildfire/#.UBgpJLthuRk.twitter

Mojoco
01-08-12, 10:03 AM
BTW wildfire uses wildfireapp.com

wildfire.co.uk and wildfire.com are registered to Orange Brand Services Ltd

atlas
01-08-12, 02:58 PM
Well worth a read - The Facebook Ad Scam:

http://www.slideshare.net/augustinefou/facebook-ad-scam-by-dr-augustine-fou-12513993

Mojoco
01-08-12, 03:17 PM
Good read, thanks Jeff.

Mojoco
02-08-12, 07:20 AM
Is this the start of the next slide ?

Major Facebook investor dumps nearly 2 million shares, which sink to $20, a new low

http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/01/fidelity-takes-a-dump/#.UBoIL_5tB4I.twitter

rob
02-08-12, 05:16 PM
BTW wildfire uses wildfireapp.com

wildfire.co.uk and wildfire.com are registered to Orange Brand Services Ltd

They used to have a voicemail / PA style thing called that in the 90s - it was crap!

rob
16-08-12, 03:43 PM
$19.7 ....!

GreyWing
16-08-12, 03:46 PM
Groupon and Facebook shares - short sell to hell and never have to work again.... both going to hell neither will make it back

atlas
16-08-12, 04:02 PM
Some Facebook shares unlock today:
http://blogs.wsj.com/overheard/2012/08/16/facebook-unlock-only-just-starting/

and there are apparently several more unlock days this year for the balance of the shares.