PDA

View Full Version : Content Suggestions for Washing Machines Page

accelerator
18-05-12, 02:41 PM
I have been trying to up the quality of content on my sites, so have been busy writing a guide to washing machines (http://lowprices.co.uk/washing-machines.php). Does anyone have any comments on the content or can suggest anything that I've missed?

I actually had a go at writing a guide (http://www.navito.co.uk/washingmachines.asp) years ago on one of my first sites, so do you think I've made any progress? :D I guess I'll have to update that page soon too.

aZooZa
20-05-12, 09:39 PM
Looks like you've pretty much got it all covered. If you wanted to expand in that sector, instruction manuals would be something to consider, but I guess that's a whole new site really. Last time I messed around with a washing machine, I couldn't find the manual, and eventually found all I needed to know on a site which had the manual, and a huge forum community of electricians and plumbers. But you probably don't want to go that far. Your existing content looks good and probably enough for a 'prices' site.

wb
23-05-12, 07:59 PM
The basic elements are there, however improvements could be made to both the order of the content and how the text is formatted to make it an easier read.

To give an explanation of the first example of this I saw, the 'cool features' section could be merged with 'useful features' and changed to a more logical order (i.e. alphabetical). Could also be an easier read if the definitions were tabulated or keywords were made bold.

accelerator
24-05-12, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. I agree the formatting needs improving, and I hope to do that once I've finished the content.

I'm also going to add a few more images into the page, particularly at the top.

Thanks

crabfoot
26-05-12, 01:11 AM
A few things to add (I'm cutting my own throat here - anyone want to buy washerdriers.com?) -

There's a very obvious mistake that people make sometimes - they install a machine without unfastening the transit locking screws, and then it REALLY bounces around and threatens to walk out of the door. That definitely deserves a mention.

Some machines use the same technology and parts as other machines which cost a lot more. The example I can mention off the top of my head is that Siemens machines are made in Spain, but the company is a Bosch subsidiary, and the washers are Bosch designs except for a different-looking control panel (and significantly cheaper than Bosch labelled machines).

Yright, it is a bit like saying that a Skoda or a SEAT is the same as a VW, except that I knew a machine mechanic who worked in a "graded stock" washing machine outlet, and he could point to a Siemens machine and say that it was exactly the same internally as a Bosch machine costing lots more, all parts interchangeable. Worth a bit of research, if you want an edge. I know there are other examples, but I'm not in touch with the man anymore.

That said, it might be worth approaching a couple of "graded stock" washing machine outlets and asking if they want to advertise on the site.

accelerator
26-05-12, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the comments crabfoot. I will certainly take them into account when next revising the page.

I was also thinking of using a car analogy where I review the brands, but I think this might get me into trouble!!