PDA

View Full Version : Domains vs Apps vs ???

Ty
09-05-12, 06:35 PM
One of the things that I've seen a lot over the past couple of years is the argument that apps and the like will signal the end of the era of domains, since "traditional" apps are domain independent and people use them direct from iPads / iPhones / Smartphones and tablets without recourse to the "traditional" internet.

As such it was interesting to read an update on the BBC website about the FT shutting down their AppStore apps completely in favour of their 11 month old HTML5 "web app" subdomain app.ft.com.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17931814

One quote from the article was:

And a lot of brand names don't like being part of someone else's ecosystem because they lose control of pricing and subscribers. The Financial Times recently announced it will shut off its iPad app completely following the success of its HTML5 web page.

This is a trend that is likely to snowball within months.

As context, the FT recently (12th April 2012) announced that they have passed 2 million users for their web app making it more successful than their traditional AppStore app ever was: http://aboutus.ft.com/2012/04/12/ft-web-app-hits-two-million-users/#axzz1uOFGMEbk

Any views or opinions would be interesting - do you think smartphone publishers will move back to domain based services or are stand alone apps here to stay?

GreyWing
09-05-12, 07:40 PM
Domains domain domains...... Domains are what stops your gateway going rogue. Looks at Google and the uncertainty that now brings to having all your eggs in one basket. Domains are independence and domains can be brands.... For people to find your app you either need a gateway such as Google, Apple etc (with all the terms and conditions, commissions and cost etc) or you need a domain. The future of apps will always be from your domain if you are decent sized brand...

I got into it a few years ago, started buying generic app domain names when there was only one place you could get them and for one phone... appstore. My view on it was that as soon as others get into the game you will be able top download the app from anywhere and install it on any phone. Android currently allows that and Apple will eventually open up in my opinion. I have had quite a few offers for some of my app names.

Of course if people know which app they want they can go and get it from somewhere like Microsoft, but problem is with apps is that people don't always know which app they want. So they will have to search for it, same as what they do at the moment for websites.

Just my view but very positive about domains and apps working together with apps coming through domains.

Probably see you next week mate if you are still going.

davedevelopment
09-05-12, 11:56 PM
IMO Mobile versions of sites are win/win for news sites. There's very little that can't be done in the browser that can be done in a native app. Anyone following a link can have a native app like experience, without the need to install an app, that they would probably never use.

highlander
10-05-12, 04:23 PM
Probably see you next week mate if you are still going.

sorry to take off topic is there a meet up happening next week?

GreyWing
10-05-12, 04:34 PM
Nominet AGM, is one if you fancy being bored out of your skull... Always a good waste of a day.

GreyWing
07-08-12, 06:04 AM
This is another example why apps are dead and domains will always boom (not saying which ext of course, that could always change) http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/06/youtube-app-removed-from-ios-6-ios-5-confirmation-official/

So Google will now have to pay apple a bigger cut for every you tube app downloaded to an iphone even if it is free to users to download from the appstore. So question is, why not just build a site that can be accessed like an app through the mobile browser. Which is what Google are now doing with this and what the FT.com announced 5 months ago.

Great news for domains and another nail for the app coffin.