PDA

View Full Version : Nominets New Members' Code

rob
16-04-12, 05:18 PM
Any thoughts on this:

Introduction of a Members' Code

We have now published a Members' Code that clarifies what happens in the unlikely event that a member's conduct brings the organisation and its members into disrepute.

As part of this process, we canvassed opinion from members on a draft of the code. We would like to thank all of those who took the time to express their views.

You can read more details and see the code in full on our website: http://www.nominet.org.uk/governance/members/memberscode/

:confused:

Edwin
16-04-12, 05:31 PM
It's a bit vague, but I think the intent is good. Especially interesting is the part about disclosing connected interests...

rob
16-04-12, 05:36 PM
Does losing a DRS bring Nominet into disrepute ? :)

Edwin
16-04-12, 07:10 PM
Does losing a DRS bring Nominet into disrepute ? :)

I doubt it, but slanging them off vigorously on a public forum might ;)

rob
16-04-12, 07:59 PM
Did I ever say how wonderful Nominet are? :rolleyes:

BigAnt
16-04-12, 09:17 PM
I doubt it, but slanging them off vigorously on a public forum might ;)

In which case you'll probably sign the death warrant on your Nominet membership, but not lose you right to express a legitimate opinion.

aZooZa
16-04-12, 09:31 PM
That verbiage looks unnecessary to me. Maybe someone at Nom Towers had some spare time on their hands. Anyway, if you get trounced on a summary charge, you could always get Mr. Justice Mann to take a look at it.

GreyWing
16-04-12, 10:07 PM
Very worrying indeed, "Does not set out to list an exhaustive set of potential breaches." I ain't no lawyer but this basically means anything "we" want it to mean.

It titles "Specifics" and then gives a broad example, not specifics....

Let me give them a specific that they could put in there....

1) Registrar's billing people for domain names that are not renewed
2) Registrar's setting debt collection agencies on people for money they don't owe
3) Registrar's changing the nameserver records without permission, changing the contact details of customers at Nominet and transferring the domain names without permission.

Right there is three to be getting on with, but where are those examples????

Instead they implement something that could be used to stifle debate and criticism, this is the kind of behaviour that went on at places like Enron. Nominet doesn't need to go down this road, they could implement something with full backing of membership for suspending members who fail customers and thus impacting on Nominet's reputation. They should place a line in there that allows for criticism of the board does not and never constitute a breach of this code.

I have no issues at all with anyone on the board, but the right has got to be there for any member of Nominet to challenge them should they wish for any reason, without the fear of suspension.

rob
16-04-12, 10:41 PM
I have no issues at all with anyone on the board, but the right has got to be there for any member of Nominet to challenge them should they wish for any reason, without the fear of suspension.

Totally agree.