PDA

View Full Version : Company rebranding and moving away from descriptive domains

Mojoco
11-04-12, 09:08 AM
Interesting article about a company that has thrived on generic domains now going the brand route

http://www.elliotsblog.com/why-csn-stores-is-rebranding-8216

Edwin
11-04-12, 03:47 PM
They've got the luxury to "go big" precisely because each of the generics previously let them dominate that micro-niche. Had they not already had the 200+ sites all ticking over at the top of their little markets, their strategy would never get off the ground. So in a sense - even if they had to drop a bit of cash on the names - it was still a cheap way for them to evolve into a large ecommerce destination...

GreyWing
11-04-12, 04:45 PM
I'd like to see them sell those names and then go full out on this crazy option. If they keep the old names live which they are and 301 everything then they will still get exact match bonus anyway, so won't really be a fair test.

If they sold their names and went forward with one core name, it would be a great test but corporate suicide.

atlas
11-04-12, 11:23 PM
I'd like to see them sell those names and then go full out on this crazy option. If they keep the old names live which they are and 301 everything then they will still get exact match bonus anyway, so won't really be a fair test.

If they sold their names and went forward with one core name, it would be a great test but corporate suicide.

That's a good point. I wonder if part of this PR drive is to protect themselves from Google. If any of us redirected hundreds of websites to a single website, Google would likely nuke everything.

Edwin
12-04-12, 12:03 AM
That's a good point. I wonder if part of this PR drive is to protect themselves from Google. If any of us redirected hundreds of websites to a single website, Google would likely nuke everything.

Not if you first built up each website as a destination in its own right i.e. with a strong backlink profile established steadily over many years.

GreyWing
12-04-12, 12:39 AM
Not if you first built up each website as a destination in its own right i.e. with a strong backlink profile established steadily over many years.

All the backlinks get transferred to the new site with 301, they keep all their benefits.

Edwin
12-04-12, 06:45 AM
All the backlinks get transferred to the new site with 301, they keep all their benefits.

So basically we're agreeing with each other! I was answering the point Atlas made about Google likely nuking everything if one of us tried it.