PDA

View Full Version : New Google "over-optimization" penalty

aZooZa
09-04-12, 06:10 PM
Looks like the gargoyle is making things even muddier than they are already:

http://searchengineland.com/too-much-seo-google%E2%80%99s-working-on-an-%E2%80%9Cover-optimization%E2%80%9D-penalty-for-that-115627

Apparently this news is over a month old, but I just spotted it today.

atlas
09-04-12, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure the penalty is new - my impression is that this has been around for a while and Google is only just announcing it now.

I think that this is good for EMDs - I would think linking to RedWidgets.co.uk with the anchor text "Red Widgets" would look pretty normal. Whereas if you are trying to rank another domain for Red Widgets, getting a lot of links with the anchor text "Red Widgets" might trip this penalty.

GreyWing
09-04-12, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure the penalty is new - my impression is that this has been around for a while and Google is only just announcing it now.

I think that this is good for EMDs - I would think linking to RedWidgets.co.uk with the anchor text "Red Widgets" would look pretty normal. Whereas if you are trying to rank another domain for Red Widgets, getting a lot of links with the anchor text "Red Widgets" might trip this penalty.

Agreed Jeff, hopefully Google will have thought about this or having a load of anchor text coming into my exact match site will look very spammy and get wiped out by google. But in reality there is little way found it. I surely can't get punished for having people link to my site by name? Well maybe Google will try....