PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Year Registration Periods

atlas
04-04-12, 04:10 PM
From a business point of view, what's the best way of dealing with multi-year registration periods when they start next month?

Renewing into the future takes a lot of cash. In fact, it seems some tags manage cash flow by renewing domains the last possible day before they drop.

On the other hand, there is real security in renewing far into the future, especially in case of accident, illness, and death. As well, from a negotiation point of view, renewing far into the future sends a message that you're holding the domain for the long term and not motivated to sell. (I've received several email inquiries along the lines on "I see domain.co.uk is about to expire and you haven't used it yet...").

I'm thinking more or less business as usual, but renewing say my top 10% of domains for the maximum period.

What are other people thinking of doing once multi-year registration periods start?

Mojoco
04-04-12, 04:16 PM
I'll be renewing all of my best domains for the maximum period.

How long until someone registers multiyearregistrationperiod.co.uk ? :)

Edwin
05-04-12, 08:48 AM
I plan to keep renewing for at least 2 years at a time (maybe more for some names) - not worth paying the extra for 1 year regs when multiplying by 7,000...

monaghan
05-04-12, 09:25 AM
2 year renewal works for me, I'll see if I get any customer demand for other periods before modifying any systems

Danny B
09-04-12, 01:27 PM
I'll be sticking to 2 years for the moment and for my customers...well...they seem to just want the cheapest option as they tend to want to "see how it goes" with their website before committing too much capital so the less spent the better....the 2 year reg is more cost effective if memory serves.