PDA

View Full Version : Google on EMD domains

aZooZa
04-04-12, 02:31 AM
Just saw this:

http://www.seobythesea.com/2011/10/googles-exact-match-domain-name-patent-detecting-commercial-queries/

Seems a rather strange stance to take, and a very weird patent? If this is current Gargoyle policy, it throws a few business models out...

atlas
04-04-12, 04:12 AM
If you stick to doing what is approved by Google, you'll have a difficult time making money.

EMDs still work for SEO - just not as well as they used to.

And there are non-SEO reasons to use EMDs as well - LondonPlumber.co.uk tells you pretty clearly what is on offer, SEO or not.

Edwin
04-04-12, 07:42 AM
I assume that the right exact match domain name would create a single n-gram (see patent) so would shine out in terms of quality compared to one with "padding" words that would spit off a whole bucket of n-grams.

For example, creditcards.co.uk would only generate "credit cards" but (quoting straight from their patent here) "buy-cheap-credit-cards-online.com [forms] the following n-grams: "credit cards," "buy cards," "cheap cards," "buy credit cards," "cheap credit cards," "buy cheap cards," "buy card online," "cheap cards online," "credit cards online," "buy credit cards online," "buy cheap credit cards," "buy cheap credit cards online." Other n-grams may also be formed."

lethal0r
13-04-12, 03:56 PM
i think matt cutts argument on branding is rather weak. if theres 15 companies with android in the url you stand out just as much as if theres 15 companies called fuggle and sqoubble and bongle etc...

i'd imagine this would make co.uk domains with zero or one dash and no padding words even more desirable.

aZooZa
14-04-12, 08:54 AM
Hmmm... n-gram/s.co.uk available to reg...

rob
14-04-12, 09:38 PM
...it throws a few business models out...

There have been a few 'gurus' touting EMD as quick n easy cash as well. I wonder what they will move onto next :)