PDA

View Full Version : Power of Twitter?

Sean
30-03-12, 03:47 PM
Just looking at the number of visitors to santasgrotto.co.uk on DomainLore and it's surprisingly high, certainly for the time of year. Is that because the registrant has 2000+ followers on Twitter or was it a popular site before?

KingDomains
30-03-12, 04:25 PM
Bit of both I think.
From the Twitter angle, if the tweeter has 'influence' and many, if not all, of his/her twitter followers are genuine followers (i.e. not all called daisyduke4873 who wants to spam you filthy links) and they are influenced by the tweet, or if the tweet is re-tweeted by those followers, then the spread can be a far-reaching one.
A good way to track any tweet/campaign is to use a hashtag '#' - but not for, say, #domains only, as it will be lost, but for something more identifiable for the selling of that particular domain - e.g. #santadomain (or something like that)

A good idea is to use both an identifiable hashtag and a generic one like #domain or #domaining, as the former will help you track it, and the latter will spread the word out to all those out there who use Tweetdeck or Hootsuite and have a column for that specific hashtag.

Used correctly and cleverly, Twitter can be very powerful. The seller of this domain is a good tweeter, and someone worth following :)

Cheers, Steve
:)

davedevelopment
30-03-12, 06:03 PM
Clarke's the owner or manager of Paid Of Results, so I imagine he's got a nice focused following, so his tweets will definitely have pushed it across a lot of people who would look's timeline.

Sean
30-03-12, 06:28 PM
So with the right message and a Twitter account you can assume God like powers. Hmm.. where's that plan I had for World domination ...

Sean
30-03-12, 07:36 PM
Damn you Scott Jones ;)

I really liked that name but Mrs W didn't and kept giving me THE look every time I bid.

Congratulations Scott, plenty of time to get it ready for Christmas 2012.

ScottJ
30-03-12, 08:33 PM
Sorry Sean, my misses is out for the night so had free reign to bid muwahaho ho ho ;)

crabfoot
30-03-12, 09:25 PM
Ae- you going to rent it out to Debenhams come Xmas?

Supercod
30-03-12, 09:52 PM
Hey, had this thread pointed out to me. Yeah I think Twitter and Facebook helped a little but I don't really know. Person who ultimately bought it follows/and is a friend on both so Scott will know better ;-) ... My following is not a bunch of random's, have a lot of Affiliates, Merchant types and other Network people along with Domain folk following because I am a co-founder of Affiliate Network Paid On Results and domain folk because I own loads of domains (I mean loads and loads), have been a Nominet member since 1998 but crazy as it will seem to you lot, never bothered with drop catching until last weekend ;-) I know mental, missed out in millions etc etc but not like I have been doing nothing, just maybe not always the right thing ;-)

Anyway this post is as good as any to say hi, and hopefully my excitement at my 1st auction didn't lose me a bunch of followers on Twitter but if it did good riddance to them LOL ;-)

Sean
30-03-12, 10:55 PM
Hej Clarke!

Sorry if my post was a little glib, in truth I made it to help out with new posts on the forum and I certainly didn't mean to downplay your Twitter following or your domain. Call it thinking out loud.

As for you never bothering to drop catch, well I've spent the last eight years doing just that and with hindsight they're probably the least productive years of my life so whilst drop catching MIGHT have gained you wealth, think what you might not have achieved as a consequence.

Anyway, congratulations on the sale of your first catch and your first post and welcome ;)

aZooZa
30-03-12, 11:24 PM
Welcome Clarke. Twitter seems to be very useful, as I just get to grips with it. I'm having to be a little careful as I discover this stuff, as for example, I can make a 'pin' on Pinterest (GREAT site), and then tweet it, and then it automatically goes to Facebook and LinkedIn - so it's easy to double-twat by mistake, if you know what I mean...

I don't send messages out too often, but the power of these media is awesome. I do get bored seeing some messages that mark regular five-minute intervals in someone's life; e.g. "Just got on the train...", then "unfolded my newspaper...", followed by "arrived at destination..." etc. Does anyone actually follow these other than family? Anyway, there's always the 'Unfollow' button...

Supercod
31-03-12, 12:33 AM
No issues with your post Sean, you noticed something that might help others when selling domains, posting on Twitter did also get me a fair few retweets about the domain sale and I dare say it all helped ;-) But tell you what, if Twitter proves to push sales of domains I will need to seek out more domainers and folk who like to buy them :-)