PDA

View Full Version : I think it's a shame

Ty
23-03-12, 01:08 AM
That more people aren't posting their thoughts here...

Doesn't take more than a minute and if you're here reading what I wrote then there's more for you & others to read if everyone chips in...?...

Just an opinion, but why not give it a try?

If you've seen anything interesting on the web re domains or development or websites, why not share it on this thread? I dare you lol :)

Caz
23-03-12, 01:47 AM
Which should be more prominent in offline marketing, Facebook or URL?

I ask having seen lots of adverts today for online businesses.

aZooZa
23-03-12, 01:53 AM
Thanks for that post Ty. It seems we're starting to build a forum with some useful posts (other than some of the nonsense I write), but seriously; we have quality members and I hope that it will continue. We have no CPC advertising or banners here; anything that Simon and I want to punt - -which isn't much -- is contained within sub-forums, and I think we're currently delivering a useful experience. A lot of work has gone into this as essentially a 'labour of love', and member participation is very much appreciated. I'm not saying we might not take on advertising at a later stage, but if so, it will be relevant and 'tasteful' :)

It's also good to see people enjoying some sales here. Obviously, the more interesting articles there are on here, the more visitors and members we will attract. The consequence of that will be more sellers and buyers - we just need to make sure that we keep out the rubbish, so to speak.

As I've said before, anything that Simon and I can do to facilitate trade here, will be done in a heartbeat -- thinking caps on please all.

So post away guys and gals!

aZooZa
23-03-12, 01:56 AM

I don't know which SHOULD be more prominent Caz, and I haven't been in the UK since August last year, but I'm guessing that a lot of offline stuff is now FB? Are there any prominent examples of this on UK TV etc.?

davedevelopment
23-03-12, 02:05 AM
Ironically the one thing I'd really like to discuss could do with not being on a public forum! I keep my eye on the chatroom, but don't want to plonk myself in there are wait because I'm constantly getting distracted away from my desk.

Will try and come up with some posts in the mean time. I'm enjoying it here, if not for the only reason that I can actually keep up with just about every post/thread.

Caz. Depends on your target market, being in the industry I find it really hard to judge. Given the choice of an URL, a FB URL or 'Search for <some phrase that they're top for', I think the average person would both remember and be able to execute the last option more often than the first. My partner is fairly well versed with these computers, but she still types URLs in the google search bar.

GreyWing
23-03-12, 02:08 AM

It's probably worthy of its own thread I think caz as it's a pretty deep discussion. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely as they say. We are seeing this now with Google, at the end of the day your url is under your control, your facebook account is under their control. Why spend £100k on an ad campaign for tv and some monkey at FB switches you off because someone made a complaint or something daft. I have gone full on frontal attack at Nominet in the last 5 years and they haven't even batted at eye lid at ever hurting my business or doing anything untoward and that is to their credit.

We've seen this thread before with Google 3-4 years ago, now it is facebook. Would you be happy at the minute with your ad saying for example "find us at google by searching quick loans" and then panda comes and wipes you out and you are advertising for your competition. FB may go the same way when it goes full on corporate, it is what corporate does.

I have control of my url, pretty happy with that.

------------

As for Ty's point I think we have seen some good members who no longer posting on other forums now appearing and taking part over the last few days. It is certainly starting to grow now, I still think the sections and categories could do with a quick tweak, but I said I'd send Dale some suggestions on that shortly.

aZooZa
23-03-12, 02:23 AM
Ironically the one thing I'd really like to discuss could do with not being on a public forum! I keep my eye on the chatroom, but don't want to plonk myself in there are wait because I'm constantly getting distracted away from my desk.

Will try and come up with some posts in the mean time. I'm enjoying it here, if not for the only reason that I can actually keep up with just about every post/thread.

Caz. Depends on your target market, being in the industry I find it really hard to judge. Given the choice of an URL, a FB URL or 'Search for <some phrase that they're top for', I think the average person would both remember and be able to execute the last option more often than the first. My partner is fairly well versed with these computers, but she still types URLs in the google search bar.
Just a thought, and I hear Graeme sighing LOL, but I could actually open up a sub-forum of Sales, like 'Sales Chat' or something - the 'Sales' forum (and subs) is NOT indexed or viewable by non-members...

wb
23-03-12, 03:24 AM
If you've seen anything interesting on the web re domains or development or websites, why not share it on this thread?

Saw this the other day on Sky News:

Boom Predicted For UK Internet Industry (http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16191571)

Nice little mention at the end for .uk domain names too:

Last week, the ten millionth .co.uk domain name was registered. When it comes to the internet, having the letters UK attached to your company name is highly desirable.