PDA

View Full Version : PayFor .com and .co.uk

aZooZa
21-03-12, 08:20 AM
Please appraise. Thanks!

Ty
21-03-12, 09:32 AM
I think this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question.

I'd class them as "generic sounding" brandable names & I don't personally think that this class of names have very much inherent or specific value - some people might value them highly whereas others would probably drop them.

Saying that, they are short and fairly easy to remember, so if you were planning to build up a brand then they'd be as good a choice as a lot of other options out there.

Like a lot of these sorts of names, you could offer them for sale on a forum for £50 and not get any takers, but there is always the chance that someone else will think along the sames lines, will want them from you, and will have deep enough pockets to provide you with a windfall.

As a final thought the above comments are made on a name only basis - but I see you've started building the .com out as a new blog?

Obviously if you're committing time and resources to the domains then their value must be related to the value of those resources and how effectively they are used in building up the brand?

PayFor.com as a successful online finance brand with a broad range of ranking terms, links, advertising and so on would clearly be a different proposition to PayFor.com as an unused domain name.

aZooZa
21-03-12, 10:10 AM
Thanks Ty. You've actually written my EXACT thoughts. Yes, I started a blog on the .com with the intention of just adding a post a day, but never find the time etc.

GreyWing
21-03-12, 07:15 PM
I sold Shouldpay.com and ShouldPay.co.uk for £7.5k back in 2006, nice catchy names similar to what you have.

aZooZa
22-03-12, 03:57 AM
I sold Shouldpay.com and ShouldPay.co.uk for £7.5k back in 2006, nice catchy names similar to what you have.
VERY encouraging Graeme - many thanks for that!

Ty
22-03-12, 09:59 AM

This is kinda what I meant by there always being a chance someone will buy domains or websites.

Both those names were regged in Nov 2005, both now don't resolve to a website or even parking 6 years after the sale, but they both are still have your Greywing.co.uk DNS servers on the whois?

This points to there having been a site at one time that needed continuance of service, and Archive.org shows ShouldPay.co.uk was once a developed site (dating back to April 2006) "Shouldpay | The UK's First Free Car Repair Estimator (http://web.archive.org/web/20110204020431/http://www.shouldpay.co.uk/)", so given that the current owner is in the motor trade then that also fits with what I was saying earlier in the thread about how development or resources committed can change the value over and above name only?

Still a great sale though, and I think it shows what having a little vision in terms of investing in development and then finding the right buyer can do!

GreyWing
22-03-12, 10:10 AM
arrh, yep forgot to mention there was a site on them both... kind of important point there Dale lol

Infact looking at the dates it was 2008 when it sold not 2006. I think it was more for the site than the names if being honest but yep get it ranked and up they go. I was hosting it for them for a while until it got a virus and they never really come to me with a plan for moving it to their own server so I disconnected it due to not wanting to affect my other sites on the server. They may have lost interest as they have a cracking site at http://motonline.co.uk/

But as mini brands they can be great to run a non specific site on..

aZooZa
22-03-12, 11:45 AM
Nay worries. They're very long-term for me anyway. I've waited almost a decade, another one won't hurt :cool: