PDA

View Full Version : CPanel or Plesk?

GreyWing
17-03-12, 12:56 AM
Got a new server and trying to decide on what platform to install, been using plesk on my old server but impossible to get help for when trying to install on the new server?

So was thinking of possibly trying cpanel, anyone got some make or break experiences on which is best?

Cheers GW

aZooZa
17-03-12, 01:02 AM
I prefer Plesk myself, it's usually installed by the host as a choice when selecting a package Graeme. cPanel is free, whereas Plesk has a small licence fee for <11 domains as I recall. Is your new server just a bare-bones OS, and you have to install all this yourself? If so, which OS and flavour is it?

secname
17-03-12, 01:08 AM
cpanel=userfriendly / plesk=stabability

GreyWing
17-03-12, 01:15 AM
I prefer Plesk myself, it's usually installed by the host as a choice when selecting a package Graeme. cPanel is free, whereas Plesk has a small licence fee for <11 domains as I recall. Is your new server just a bare-bones OS, and you have to install all this yourself? If so, which OS and flavour is it?

Yep mate I got a bare bones server and they installed some type of linux version on it "Centos" I think.

I installed the plesk stuff and all seemed to go in fine, no errors but just can't seem to reach the admin panel. I think it wants me to configure password and stuff with server privalages but not sure what it is on about or what it wants me to do. I have all the codes and stuff but by the sounds of it it actuaslly wanted me to be physically present at the server.

aZooZa
17-03-12, 01:31 AM
The admin panel should be reachable at https://yourdomain:8443

If 'yourdomain' doesn't work, try the IP address.

aZooZa
17-03-12, 01:32 AM
cpanel=userfriendly / plesk=stabability
Absolutely!

GreyWing
17-03-12, 01:40 AM
The admin panel should be reachable at https://yourdomain:8443

If 'yourdomain' doesn't work, try the IP address.

Yep tried them both mate, this is what I'm getting back on all browsers.

The connection has timed out

The server at 217.***.***.** is taking too long to respond.

Not sure if I should have done some prep work on the server before I started or something but it said mysql and all the good stuff was on and working. I'm only on the trial installation so not costing anything, so may just whip it out if can't get it going. Their help support is terrible, please add license key before you can contact them. But it's a trial and doesn't have any license key, so they haven't thought that through.

aZooZa
17-03-12, 01:52 AM
I think you're in nightmare territory there. If I were you I'd consider going with a host that provides this stuff as part of a basic package. It's possible to do all that Plesk does from the command line, but that's essentially what Plesk does as you know - it gives you a 'usability' layer. What's the price/spec of the server you're wanting?

GreyWing
17-03-12, 02:02 AM
that's the trade off then I guess mate, for the same server from a managed point of view it would be £150 a month. I bought the server for £500'ish, 16gb ram etc and a really decent bit of kit built from scartch. I just pay £30 a month for co location 30gb traffic. It's only about 10 miles from me if I needed to pop up there and they are really good. But they don't know how plesk works as they are just command line guys. 3 years of old server being there and never had an issue so can't fault them.

I bought this new server more for seo purposes to split my sites around with new ip's and a bit of security in case the other server goes down I have another to rely on.

I'll buy the license and maybe get them to install it for £50, saves the hassle I think... Might swap the older server to cpanel or command line though, didn't know it was free for cpanel.....

aZooZa
17-03-12, 02:11 AM
Ohh - different kettle of fish! Without doubt, I'd have them install Plesk for the £50. cPanel is free but only from hosting companies who pay the licensing fees. IMHO, Plesk is the way to go mate.

mark
17-03-12, 04:35 PM
cPanel any day over Plesk - we acquired a hosting company who used Plesk and are slowly moving all their servers over to cPanel inline with what we use for everything else (and prefer)

Give me a shout if you want any assistance with cPanel - we do annual licenses with support etc.

Mark

Ty
20-03-12, 10:25 PM
Cpanel for me by a country mile having used both systems over a number of years.

Saying that I'm no sort of server guru, just basing my vote on my own experience of reliability and ease of use as a reasonably technical person.

GreyWing
20-03-12, 10:35 PM
Managed to get a freelancer to cure the plesk issue, then it's gone down again. Apache has now broken and needs reconfiguring...

I'm going to head over to cpanel and give it a go. Support at plesk is non existent apart from their forum or if you want to hand over £40 to get a problem fixed that is of their doing anyway.

Anyone know if I can install cpanel at the side of plesk or do I need to scrub the server back to the beginning?

GreyWing
20-03-12, 11:50 PM
Bloody hell, they have live chat everywhere at cpanel, I am having trouble installing it...... no probs fella we have free installation, even a fresh OS being installed.

Bloody better service by far...

aZooZa
21-03-12, 01:09 AM
Bloody hell, they have live chat everywhere at cpanel, I am having trouble installing it...... no probs fella we have free installation, even a fresh OS being installed.

Bloody better service by far...
Excellent Graeme. After reading the responses in this thread, I'll choose cPanel over Plesk in future. I think Simon does all our main sites/server stuff with the command line; I just faff around with the odd site here and there.

GreyWing
21-03-12, 05:16 PM
You don't want to let me loose with command line, they say a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous...... 2 server crashes and I think I have learned my lessons the hard way.

But yep the support around cpanel is much better, already stands head and shoulders above plesk.

M@tt
23-03-12, 05:52 PM
cPanel hands down for good support, usability and a generally 'nice' company to deal with. Plesk and Parallels... not the best combination.

You can license cPanel externally from www.RoboShift.com if you need (cheaper than buying from cPanel direct).

rob
23-03-12, 06:32 PM
Another vote for cpanel here.

GreyWing
23-03-12, 07:03 PM
Just kind of got my head round it now, it does have some great features though and looks to be working well.

FagEnd
26-03-12, 09:19 PM
cPanel/WHM is my choice too. Tried plesk out a few years back on a dedi server because it was much cheaper than cPanel, but I couldn't get used to plesk. Probably just as good as cPanel but depends on what you are used to. I'm sure they both do the same stuff.

GreyWing
12-05-12, 03:25 PM
Can't believe I even asked this question. After using Cpanel for a few weeks it is head and shoulders above plesk. It kicks plesk 9 well into touch, Plesk 10 they went suicidal on and ruined everything and made a product unworkable. Some big issues with apache on plesk 10, you sneeze and your server collapses.

Great choice guys and thanks for the recommendations of cpanel... looking back it was a no brainer. Slowly moving all my sites off my last Plesk server and onto my third cpanel.

jiashia
24-04-13, 06:14 PM
cpanel comes all preconfigured and easy to use for client, plesk is more like unix style of configuring your web