PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Domain Research Tool?

GreyWing
27-02-12, 06:04 PM
Does anyone use this tool, if so has it stopped working for .co.uk's recently?

Cheers
GW

aZooZa
28-02-12, 04:39 AM
Does anyone use this tool, if so has it stopped working for .co.uk's recently?

Cheers
GW
I don't think it has ever been useful for .uk domains Graeme - it's had timeout and proxy issues for as long as I can remember. I'd be interested to know what you're using it to find!

GreyWing
28-02-12, 01:58 PM
It was just to keep track of my own domains mate, never used to do analysis on the names of others. I have about 600 names and updated them about once a month, so it worked pretty well for me up until last week. :(

aZooZa
28-02-12, 02:07 PM
It was just to keep track of my own domains mate, never used to do analysis on the names of others. I have about 600 names and updated them about once a month, so it worked pretty well for me up until last week. :(
I think even 600 can choke it. Last time I ran it, it died with a .NET programming error as I recall. Luc did his best with it over the years, but perhaps it's been shelved - don't really know. It's earned him a packet in its lifetime though.

GreyWing
28-02-12, 05:32 PM
I think that is the problem with selling software and not asking for a license fee for upgrades every year. Whilst nobody likes paying subscription every year it does help motivate the publisher to keep things upto date. Not sure if an update will come out for DRT but I'd pay £20 or so for it every year without batting an eyelid.

Mind you saying that, Nominet web interface is perfectly ok to handle renewals and stuff so maybe its time has passed anyway.

Darren
28-02-12, 08:15 PM
Hello Graeme,

Its down to Nominet changing the URL structure on the whois, Luc needs to update to the new format or can plug your DAC in to it.

Thanks, Darren.

Rob_F
29-02-12, 01:56 AM
Link it your DAC, Graeme. That should kill any problems you are having – and any other whois timeout/proxy issues others are experiencing.

I've used it daily for years, including today, so it should still be working fine if you have it linked to your DAC.

No problem handling lists up to about 40k domains, haven't tried beyond that.

If anyone else has any questions relating to DRT, feel free to post them and I will try and assist.

- Rob

GreyWing
29-02-12, 02:16 AM
Cheers guys, you were right in that it still works fine when linked to the DAC.

Happy days, it's a decent tool for personal domain admin and would be a bit lost without it as I still have a few .com's as well. So nice to keep everything in one place.