PDA

View Full Version : The intrepid progression of Windows

aZooZa
18-02-12, 04:57 AM
This just tweeted by a friend. I found it amusing...

http://i.imgur.com/vd2WA.jpg

GreyWing
18-02-12, 07:06 AM
Will be interesting to see how this all plays out, if I have to go learning a whole new operating system then I might just try Apple for the first time. Microsoft playing with fire here in my opinion.

aZooZa
18-02-12, 07:47 AM
I'd vouch that if you tried OS X Graeme, you wouldn't turn back. If you do need Win, you can run it very reliably indeed in VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org) - XP Professional is the most stable candidate in that environment in my experience.

invincible
18-02-12, 12:39 PM
I'd vouch that if you tried OS X Graeme, you wouldn't turn back. If you do need Win, you can run it very reliably indeed in VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org) - XP Professional is the most stable candidate in that environment in my experience.

I'm wanting to sell a 2004 PowerPC based PowerMac. G5 Dual 2.5Ghz. Unfortunately I never liked it. Has the latest OS X for the PowerPC chipset. One of my major gripes with Apple has always been how they locate all menu ribbons at the top of the display rather than at the top of the respective application window. This appears to mean I have to move the mouse much more than I would than with other OS, since I always have to move the cursor from where ever it is on screen to the top and then back, and it doesn't seem possible to be able to view the menu ribbon from multiple applications on screen at the same time.

aZooZa
18-02-12, 12:49 PM
I'm wanting to sell a 2004 PowerPC based PowerMac. G5 Dual 2.5Ghz. Unfortunately I never liked it. Has the latest OS X for the PowerPC chipset. One of my major gripes with Apple has always been how they locate all menu ribbons at the top of the display rather than at the top of the respective application window. This appears to mean I have to move the mouse much more than I would than with other OS, since I always have to move the cursor from where ever it is on screen to the top and then back, and it doesn't seem possible to be able to view the menu ribbon from multiple applications on screen at the same time.
I'd suggest taking a trip to your local Apple store and taking a look at the last 'Lion' OS X. I think you'll be surprised at how these nuances have been improved. I hear that 'Mountain Lion' is coming out soon, and that version apparently incorporates many of the handy features of iOS 5 like cross-device instant messaging etc.

invincible
18-02-12, 01:01 PM
I'd suggest taking a trip to your local Apple store and taking a look at the last 'Lion' OS X. I think you'll be surprised at how these nuances have been improved. I hear that 'Mountain Lion' is coming out soon, and that version apparently incorporates many of the handy features of iOS 5 like cross-device instant messaging etc.

I'm an iPad and iPhone owner and have tried to get to like Mac OS. I tried it back when it was System 7, then 9.5 and various incarnations of 10 ("X"). I've always really wanted to find I like it and hoped I would when I bought the G5. Unfortunately I didn't. :( The latest release of X has substantially more than Tiger or Leopard had (I'm stuck at Leapard being it's PowerPC). However I don't think it's actually down to features, or lack of features, which I am having difficulty with but more to do with underlying usability conventions. That is why I cited the menu ribbon issue which is fundamental to the way the OS works and something I find I dislike. It possibly comes down to the way one works with an OS. Windows still isn't as good, in some respects, as other window based OS that I have used in the past. It's usually impossible to work on something without bringing the respective window to the front of the stack and it's impossible to drag a window behind an existing one (enabling the window stack to remain in the order it is in). On the face of it these might seem minor but if one is used to being able to do it it becomes quite irritating. :)