PDA

View Full Version : Search volume nonsense?

aZooZa
17-02-12, 03:38 AM
Take a look at this:

Google exact UK LSV:

bouncy castle hire: 18,100 (broad = 135,000)
gloves: 6,600 (broad = 823,000)
marquee hire: 18,100 (broad = 110,000)
scarves: 8,100 (broad = 368,000)

Bing "GB" search volume (according to their API instructions):

bouncy castle hire: 934
gloves: 66,392
marquee hire: 1,275
scarves: 21,596

What makes the most sense to you given the time of year? Is Bing giving broad results rather than exact? I know Google is a 12-month average, but does this make the figures more accurate?

Can you interpret this Google graph in relation to the above?

wb
17-02-12, 04:43 AM
Just in case you didn't know, there is an easier way to get the monthly figures from GKT.

If you click the 'download' button after the results have loaded, it will give you a CSV file which includes them. :)

http://i44.tinypic.com/34yqvbm.gif

It does seem to vary with accuracy, although I've generally found it to be quite good recently (not forgetting to take into account that you'll normally only get ~40% of the exacts if you're in the number one spot).

aZooZa
17-02-12, 04:56 AM
Thanks Matt - I was editing my post (problems with image settings) while you were posting. I'm still not convinced by the Google figures - the relationship between castles and gloves in November 2011 seems strange to me.

Simon understands this better than I do as he's had to program it on DCE (where we now use Bing); but I think the subject of search volume is a very important one and should be discussed and debated at length, given that it's a primary factor in valuing domains for sale. I'm sure there are plenty of others like myself who need an education in this.

atlas
17-02-12, 03:32 PM
How are you getting the search volume from Bing?

Is Bing providing UK results or global results?

GreyWing
17-02-12, 04:34 PM
Bing looks pretty accurate to me, much more so than Google. I'd rather go with them than Google's exacts when buying a name.

MikeJDS
17-02-12, 05:24 PM
Bing looks pretty accurate to me, much more so than Google. I'd rather go with them than Google's exacts when buying a name.

Me too!
What about when your selling a name? :p