PDA

View Full Version : Domain 'ownership' - frequent confusion or misnomer.

aZooZa
14-02-12, 02:07 PM
Always worth remembering!

Definition 10: http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/legal/terms/

So statements like "I own thisdomain.co.uk or thatdomain.co.uk" are essentially not true, although commonly used and accepted prima facie.

Food for thought?

davedevelopment
14-02-12, 03:34 PM
I try and make an effort to write "I'm the registrant of" rather than "the owner of", but I don't think it makes much difference. Although I do cringe a little bit when people say they bought a domain name, they mean they registered it...

GreyWing
14-02-12, 03:43 PM
It's a touchy one, but I'd remember that Nominet ain't the law and just because they say you ain't the owner, it doesn't mean that you ain't. I'm sure the law would take a view that you have Intellectual Property Rights of some kind (especially if you have established it over time) to it and should they try to take it away from you then you still have court redress. Property doesn't have to be physical to be owned. I could write my own terms and conditions but they don't mean anything until they have been challenged in court

There is one going through now.... Nominet quite possibly already know they are on shaky ground and word is that they are worried.