PDA

View Full Version : This forum has died on its arse....

FagEnd
30-12-12, 01:50 AM
and I'll tell you exactly why it will continue to die on its arse.

The fact that the "private forum" exists. An elite arena for a few halfwits with their own agenda.

In my opinion, if you want a half decent forum, open it up to everyone or this forum will only ever consist of the few that have access to the private area. What are you hiding? :)

crabfoot
30-12-12, 02:29 AM
I can't resist the quote - "It's worse than that, he's dead, Jim".

Will we have "Klingons on the starboard bow" next?

More to the point, does every new member make two posts in Ingrish, fill in a couple of sig links and disappear forever?

I don't think there's much happening in the private area, or anywhere else. After the attacks of the black and white creatures, everybody has been rendered speechless!

spiderspider
30-12-12, 01:52 PM
First post time, and what a thread to make it in! I'm more of a reader than a 'I must comment on anything and everything person'.

I found this place by looking for forums to buy, landed on a forum somewhere else, read about the sale of this forum, landed here and joined as I'm UK based and buy / sell loads of domains.

I think to say this place is dead on its arse is a bit of an understatement. Its possibly the least active of all the forums I'm on (including some of my own new forums), and when ever I log in to check things, it seems that just the auto bot is posting.

But I am also intrigued about the 'private' area. Its just invite only, so what does one need to do to get an invite? What happens in there, and what makes it so special? List of UK domains about to be dropped? Discounts for registration? Special pre sales area? Best stop typing or I'll give you to many ideas ;)

crabfoot
30-12-12, 02:59 PM
FagEnd has a suspicious mind which is fuelled by imbibing his national malted herbal beverage on Saturday night.

I am also intrigued about the 'private' area. Its just invite only, so what does one need to do to get an invite? What happens in there, and what makes it so special?

I don't know what goes on in there, either - but I believe that the original contents were wiped by aZooZa when the forum passed into the present ownership, and I also believe that there's not much going on in there because the owners can chat in the moderator's forum (which is invisible if you're not a moderator).

List of UK domains about to be dropped? Discounts for registration? Special pre sales area?
Neither of the first two - most of the membership here have their own TAGs, they catch and register their own domains. More likely quiet discussions about catching and monetising domains, and perhaps some "horse trading".

Speaking personally, I would make more posts but I keep running up against some kind of bug in the software that forbids me from posting.

The moderators are trying to find out why, but without success so far. That's why you occasionally find gibberish test posts by the moderators.
It is very disheartening to write a message, then find you can't post it.

Yesterday I posted to this thread, then I was forbidden from posting to another, forbidden from starting a new thread, and forbidden from sending a PM.
If that is happening to other people, it is no wonder the place is quiet.

rob
31-12-12, 04:44 PM
In my opinion, if you want a half decent forum

What indicates a half decent forum ?

If the aim is to get lots of page views and cash the adsense cheque, make a few hundred a month off direct ads and then perhaps cash out for £50k then UKDF wont be that. It would be easyish to create but whats the point.

I would make more posts but I keep running up against some kind of bug in the software that forbids me from posting.

This is annoying as much for you as it is for me / others as we cant replicate it - and hopefully a reinstall in the coming weeks will solve it. Permissions are right and everything *looks* right :(

crabfoot
01-01-13, 07:20 PM
This is annoying as much for you as it is for me / others as we cant replicate it - and hopefully a reinstall in the coming weeks will solve it. Permissions are right and everything *looks* right

That's why it is so frustrating, Rob. Everything looks OK until you hit the "Post" button, there's 400 words and y haven't even put it on the clipboard ...

I've just tried to make a post to a thread I've wanted to add to for three days. Other places, I'm working OK, but once again I get the message

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I am aware you don't know what is happening. What irritates me most is that I might be missing out on meeting people I want to know, who don't want to stay if they get a message like that.

I'll just say that if your name was Alan I wouldn't even bother telling you, I'd go and look at DP for stimulation.

rob
03-01-13, 07:51 PM
I'll just say that if your name was Alan I wouldn't even bother telling you, I'd go and look at DP for stimulation.

:D

It does seem its a mod_sec issue - and trying to sort it!