PDA

View Full Version : "New Posts" time of latest post not visible.

Ty
09-02-12, 10:45 AM
The "new posts" function does show the latest posts, but the way it's formatted you can't see when the latest posts were actually made.

Next the the poster's avatar I'm only seeing "Last Post: Tod" next to every post - the time of the post is hidden by the narrow CSS formatting of the column, and it'd be quite handy to have a wider column & to be able to see the times to tell what's new and so on.

Thanks

Ty

davedevelopment
09-02-12, 11:00 AM
The "new posts" function does show the latest posts, but the way it's formatted you can't see when the latest posts were actually made.

Next the the poster's avatar I'm only seeing "Last Post: Tod" next to every post - the time of the post is hidden by the narrow CSS formatting of the column, and it'd be quite handy to have a wider column & to be able to see the times to tell what's new and so on.

Thanks

Ty

Might help to tell them your browser and screen res Ty, I get the whole column just fine.

Ty
09-02-12, 11:10 AM
Hi Dave :)

Windows 7
2 times 1280x1024 plus 1 1920x1080
Text size is set to "Smaller - 100% (default)"

In Chrome 16.0 set at 100% zoom I see:
Last Post: Tod
by davedevelo

In Explorer 9.0 set at 100% zoom I see:
Last Post: Today 10:0
by davedevelopment

Regards

Ty

davedevelopment
09-02-12, 11:59 AM
Just had another look, I'm FF 10.0 (Ubuntu 11.10) and it starts to get clipped when I bring my browser window's width in to about 1400px.

aZooZa
09-02-12, 12:26 PM
Guys, thanks - we're working on it right now ;)

aKooKa
09-02-12, 01:38 PM
Hi Ty.

We've modded some of the CSS. How's it looking to you now?

Cheers,

Simon

Ty
09-02-12, 01:45 PM
Still looks a bit odd. This is a screengrab using the above settings.

Ty

aKooKa
09-02-12, 01:49 PM
Is the browser window maximised or have you shrunk it? Also was that screenshot from IE or Chrome? Pls advise.

Ty
09-02-12, 01:54 PM
That particular browser window was 1200 pixels wide.

Maximising it to 1920 pixels shows all of the information, but I doubt many people browse the web with a full HD res width browser window :)

Regards

Ty

aKooKa
09-02-12, 02:29 PM
Hi Ty. I think the sidebar is to blame. If I close the sidebar, I can view everything perfectly in a 1024x768 window. If I open the sidebar then it shunts the thread list content over and we see issues such as the one you raised. Looks as if we may have to consider ditching the sidebar. Incidentally when you took your screenshot was the sidebar open or closed in your 1200px browser window?

Ty
09-02-12, 02:35 PM
Sidebar was open. When it's closed it's fine.

As far as I can tell, the CSS rule that is causing the problem is

threadbit .threadlastpost dd {
margin: 0 20px 0 20px;}

If you change it to

threadbit .threadlastpost dd {
margin: 0 0 0 20px;}

That should fix the problem. That line of CSS is setting the same margin left and right to accommodate the avatar, but it doesn't need to be there on the RHS.

Ty

wb
09-02-12, 02:38 PM
Edit: Ty beat me to it :)

1280x800 resolution on Chrome here and I see the same:

http://i40.tinypic.com/b9jaj5.png

Can see the full time when the sidebar is closed, but I don't think it's the sidebar stopping the time from showing when it's open (as there's plenty of space in the column for it to fit).

I'm not a CSS expert, but it looks like it could simply be the right-margin element on this below causing the white overlap? If not, I'm sure someone a bit more clued up on design will correct me.

.threadbit .threadlastpost dd {
margin:0 20px 0 20px;
height: 14.76px;
overflow: hidden;
white-space:nowrap;
}

aKooKa
09-02-12, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Have removed the margin and it's looking better for me now. How about you chaps?

Ty
09-02-12, 02:59 PM
Yup, works fine now :) Looking good.

One other thing that seems odd to me - when you go to "Quick Links >> Today's Posts" the menu bar at the top changes to a reduced function version that appears to be connected to the "What's New" area. Personally I'd prefer the navigation to remain consistent throughout the site, not sure what others think?

wb
09-02-12, 03:50 PM
All looking good here now too.

Personally I'd prefer the navigation to remain consistent throughout the site, not sure what others think?

Agree with that.

Looks like only the 'new events' and 'new group messages' links would be lost by doing so, but I don't think they would even be used (or missed) here anyway?

aKooKa
10-02-12, 05:46 AM
We've removed the "What's New" tab, which resolves this issue. Didn't make sense to keep it as we're not using event and group msg features and it basically just replicated the view from the 'new posts' section.

Edit: Disabling of this tab caused a few issues, so for the time being it's been re-enabled. Will look into this.

Caz
27-02-12, 01:09 PM
Is there something you can enable so I can load more latest posts that I haven't read. Using tap talk.

Seems to only show today's and won't load more.

Thanks in advance.

Ty
27-02-12, 01:23 PM
Is there something you can enable so I can load more latest posts that I haven't read. Using tap talk.

Seems to only show today's and won't load more.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'd agree with this > Having functionality that orders posts on the forum by most recent by that doesn't cut off after 24 hours would make the forum a lot more usable IMO. I've also looked for a way of doing this with the current set up but it doesn't seem to be possible.

aZooZa
27-02-12, 02:00 PM
I'm trying to find a fix for this. If anyone can find a fix or hack on Google (for vB 4.1.10) I'd appreciate it.

secname
27-02-12, 02:52 PM
settings > general settings >Default Thread Age Cut Off:

change this to how many you want to display. This should do the trick

or dale if you look at ACP->Settings->Options->Message Searching Options.

Paul

Ty
27-02-12, 03:02 PM
settings > general settings >Default Thread Age Cut Off:

change this to how many you want to display. This should do the trick

or dale if you look at ACP->Settings->Options->Message Searching Options.

Paul

Thanks, I've had it set to "Show all threads" since I joined but it doesn't help!

secname
27-02-12, 03:05 PM
Thanks, I've had it set to "Show all threads" since I joined but it doesn't help!

ah ok, maybe the setting ive sent dale can sort it.

aKooKa
27-02-12, 03:32 PM
Hi Paul. I didn't see any message relevant settings where you mentioned but I did notice that in AdminCP->Settings->General Settings the Thread/Forum Read Marking Type was at 1 for inactivity/cookie based. I've changed it to option 3 for automatic database marking. See info on the different settings below. Pls let me know if this does the trick.

------------------------------------
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.