PDA

View Full Version : Introduction of .uk - Don't Do It!

Edwin
29-10-12, 11:16 AM
I have spent the last three weeks putting together a detailed 26 page position paper about Nominet's rollout of .UK, entitled "Introduction of .uk - Don't Do It!".

While there are many things wrong with their current proposal, I've concentrated on the issues that will make immediate sense to ordinary businesses.

For instance, the prioritising of trademark holders over domain registrants, the huge price increase, and the fact that Nominet is ignoring the best practice established by all other countries in their own 3LD to 2LD transitions.

I've also detailed how Nominet stands to gain substantially from the exercise (indeed, it will likely eclipse their current revenue).

I concluded that the UK economy would be better off with the status quo, but if Nominet insist we must have .UK, it has to be distributed in a fair and equitable way (i.e. nothing like their current proposal)

To that end, I've put together a counter-proposal. I've kept it strictly "industry neutral" so that it represents the "least worst alternative" for the largest number of stakeholders. As such, you may find it's not as advantageous to domainers as one might hope. I believe however that it's a defensible proposition founded on sound logic, and taking into account international precedent.

I don't want to "anticipate" what I've written any further than that, so I'll let you get on with digesting the document! You can download it from http://www.mydomainnames.co.uk/

atlas
29-10-12, 12:59 PM
Thanks Edwin - amazing stuff!

Edwin
29-10-12, 01:25 PM
BTW, probably "goes without saying" but I'll say it anyway... anything that anyone reading this thread can do to "get the word out" - especially to the wider world outside the domain industry - would be most welcome. It benefits ALL of us, after all!

rob
29-10-12, 05:09 PM
This is a spectacular effort - will be showing the link to a few MP's and the like!

crabfoot
29-10-12, 07:03 PM
I don't entirely agree with Edwin's viewpoint, but I most certainly do not like the viewpoint of Nominet!

I see this as the thin end of the wedge. We have already seen people being forced to hand over ICANN names to TM holders, and some of those claims were thin and unjustified in my opinion - are Nominet leading us towards that sort of scenario in UK?

WTH I've posted a couple of links to Edwin's paper in the great elsewhere ... it deserves a mention.

I'm not shelling out for myTM.uk either. If someone registers it, I'll go for the quick profit selling the TM, com and co.uk bundle!