PDA

View Full Version : Forum Move Complete - Hopefully!

rob
19-10-12, 10:30 AM
Morning!

The move of the forum to new hosting has taken place, so apologies for the lock down of the last day but that was to make sure that everything went smoothly.

More details soon - and those who were in the Private Forum will get PM's inviting them back in when it gets recreated so dont worry :cool:

True to their word as ever, the Private Forum & PM's were nuked before handover by Dale + Simon.

Cheers
Rob

(one of the new team running UKDF)

Edwin
19-10-12, 11:47 AM
Good job, Rob. Looking forward to seeing how this place evolves!

davedevelopment
19-10-12, 01:52 PM
The Kings are dead, long live the Kings :)

Aiden Roberts
19-10-12, 02:21 PM
Congrats to the new owners.

aZooZa
19-10-12, 03:17 PM
The Kings are dead, long live the Kings :)
Sorry - please explain for a newbie?

aZooZa
19-10-12, 03:20 PM
Morning!

The move of the forum to new hosting has taken place, so apologies for the lock down of the last day but that was to make sure that everything went smoothly.

More details soon - and those who were in the Private Forum will get PM's inviting them back in when it gets recreated so dont worry :cool:

True to their word as ever, the Private Forum & PM's were nuked before handover by Dale + Simon.

Cheers
Rob

(one of the new team running UKDF)
Congrats Rob - couldn't be in better hands!

davedevelopment
19-10-12, 03:35 PM
Sorry - please explain for a newbie?

I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "The King is dead, long live the king"? I just pluralised it, assuming yourself and Simon where no longer admins, and that Rob and Edwin were the new ones. No offense intended :)

crabfoot
19-10-12, 10:56 PM
Well I don't mind, at least the forum hasn't fallen into the hands of strangers!

Good luck to all - Dale, Simon, Rob and Edwin.

Er -does this mean we have to put up with a redesign incorporating dragons, leeks, and daffodils? Nosin da ...

aZooZa
21-10-12, 10:12 AM
I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "The King is dead, long live the king"? I just pluralised it, assuming yourself and Simon where no longer admins, and that Rob and Edwin were the new ones. No offense intended :)
Duhhh - sorry Dave :D

js1
22-10-12, 12:34 PM
Best of luck and wishes to new owner and everyone else involved...

Regards,

John.

rob
22-10-12, 06:51 PM
Thanks once we get our feet under the desk we will do an email to all explaining the setup, the ideas , and opening it up for all to get involved - if they are interest in good quality fora that is ;)

Caz
22-10-12, 08:28 PM
What's this private forum all about? Not bothered I'm not in it just bothered I'd never spotted it before :-)

Oh, best of luck also.

Aaron
22-10-12, 08:54 PM
Hello all.....

rob
22-10-12, 09:13 PM
What's this private forum all about? Not bothered I'm not in it just bothered I'd never spotted it before :-)

IMHO it was the best and probably busiest part of UKDF and one of the reasons I / others stepped in to keep the site going.

Its run via a 'vouching' system at the moment.

Incidentally how would people feel to make it login-only sitewide, boot out spiders, lurkers and non regged users?

highlander
22-10-12, 09:22 PM
IMHO it was the best and probably busiest part of UKDF and one of the reasons I / others stepped in to keep the site going.

Incidentally how would people feel to make it login-only sitewide, boot out spiders, lurkers and non regged users?

Interesting, it doesn't appear to have been well advertised. One of the reasons for not spending a lot of time here was that whenever I looked at the forum there wasn't much happening - 2/3 posts a day max. If it was all happening behind a private firewall then the lack of posting on the main forum makes sense :) but seems a strange way imho to try to gain traction on a new forum!

Good luck to you and Edwin with the forum and also to Dale and Simon in whatever new plans they have.

Fish
22-10-12, 10:59 PM

What's the point of that on a public forum, elitism or what? Get a VPN and dump the forum :D

rob
22-10-12, 11:09 PM
Interesting, it doesn't appear to have been well advertised. One of the reasons for not spending a lot of time here was that whenever I looked at the forum there wasn't much happening - 2/3 posts a day max. If it was all happening behind a private firewall then the lack of posting on the main forum makes sense :) but seems a strange way imho to try to gain traction on a new forum!

Good luck to you and Edwin with the forum and also to Dale and Simon in whatever new plans they have.

I cant speak for him, but I dont think the aim was ever to build a huge forum full of cruft.

The private forum worked well, and IMHO its a case of taking the elements and reasons why that was so popular and extending it out to all.

Quality not quantity attracts a quantity of quality :)

WealdDomains
23-10-12, 08:07 PM
Best wishes to all those involved in running the forum - past and present, old and new, or whatever suitable form of words insults neither :-)

Edwin
23-10-12, 09:36 PM
I cant speak for him, but I dont think the aim was ever to build a huge forum full of cruft.

Quite the opposite: a small forum full of great posts. There are plenty of other places for cruft-seekers.

aZooZa
24-10-12, 01:47 AM
We never wanted any crap here and did our best to keep it out. No doubt the new management will continue in that vein. As far as Simon and I are concerned, it couldn't be in better hands. Thanks to all who supported us, and let's continue to help Rob et al build this as "a better place to be" :D