PDA

View Full Version : Plans following google exact match domain hits

mally
07-10-12, 02:58 PM
I'm still looking to maintain the domains I have, build likes and get love form bing/yahoo. Anything from google is a nicety but life goes on. Are you guys keeping or selling?

GreyWing
07-10-12, 03:08 PM
treading water here, not buying or selling until Nom things are cleared up. Will be letting a lot drop, this is a good excuse for me to offload junk I would have kept when I really shouldn't, save me cash too...

mally
07-10-12, 05:35 PM
Yep good point I seemed to spend my life search for keyword match domain names, much less now though. Time to flick through my collection

GreyWing
07-10-12, 05:42 PM
Specifically Google, it wouldn't have affected me to be honest. I don't follow Google's trends that are announced because they always roll back the ones that don't make sense. People that don't have a strategy often listen to Matt Cutts more than they should. If people have a strategy then my advise is just stick to it if it makes sense.

FagEnd
15-11-12, 08:30 PM
Is anyone seeing any adverse effects on EMD's? I don't hold a great deal of domains nowadays so I can't say if EMD's have been hit, but I run a couple of networks with multiple EMD subdomain sites and traffic is just the same as before, if not better. Still ranking the same for the exact match keywords in google. I would have expected a subdomain network to be hit first but that is not what I'm seeing.

crabfoot
15-11-12, 08:53 PM
I think you need a big site to see the effect, and I don't have one, but -
A couple of people I know have told me they've only been hit for the main keyword, the domain match. All the other keywords on their EMDs are working as normal. That might explain your "subdomain survival" method.

I have a couple of mis-spelled domains parked on Storeburst that are showing a big increase in traffic - not that it is any use, because I've never managed to set them up right. They are not strictly typos, they're an alternative spelling for the keyword, as opposed to the common spelling. I'm thinking of building them out properly.

GreyWing
15-11-12, 09:00 PM
EMD + decent sites are as strong as ever, mine are all doing very very well. All running joomla, not sure if wp or sb sites are suffering. But I'd say EMD are going well in general.

FagEnd
15-11-12, 09:48 PM
EMD + decent sites are as strong as ever, mine are all doing very very well. All running joomla, not sure if wp or sb sites are suffering. But I'd say EMD are going well in general.
Just confirms my suspicion that Matt Cutts talks tripe. No way it makes any sense for a search engine to penalise an EMD just because it is an EMD. Too many people listen to this clown and adjust their SEO strategy according to what he says. I think I'll stick to doing the opposite of what he advises for best results.

FagEnd
15-11-12, 10:04 PM
Hey Craig,

I've still got your home brew website residing on my server. It has only been a year or 2 so no rush for transfer :)

I think you need a big site to see the effect, and I don't have one, but -
A couple of people I know have told me they've only been hit for the main keyword, the domain match. All the other keywords on their EMDs are working as normal. That might explain your "subdomain survival" method.

I have a couple of mis-spelled domains parked on Storeburst that are showing a big increase in traffic - not that it is any use, because I've never managed to set them up right. They are not strictly typos, they're an alternative spelling for the keyword, as opposed to the common spelling. I'm thinking of building them out properly.

GreyWing
15-11-12, 11:27 PM
Just confirms my suspicion that Matt Cutts talks tripe. No way it makes any sense for a search engine to penalise an EMD just because it is an EMD. Too many people listen to this clown and adjust their SEO strategy according to what he says. I think I'll stick to doing the opposite of what he advises for best results.

It was reversed after 8-10 days, all mine that were hit popped back without any action by me. Matt Cutts is out of his depth, doesn't know what he is talking about. I said it before and I say it again, why would you tell people how to fix their sites if you are looking for natural sites? The only people that are going to do what you say are the unnatural sites / seo guys.

The person with that job needs to be sat in a dark room and never heard from, it should all be top secret. Telling people just allows others to circumvent what you just did.

crabfoot
16-11-12, 02:12 AM
No way it makes any sense for a search engine to penalise an EMD just because it is an EMD.

Perhaps that is why the Gargyl reported lower that predicted profits at 6 months and trading in shares was suspended because there was a rush to sell.

Rick Schwartz has an opinion (http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2012/10/is-googles-revenue-problem-directly-related-to-domain-channel-losses.html) - me, I'm buying well aged stuff out of the bargain bin and changing my name by deed poll to Lyn King Llandestyn.

GreyWing
16-11-12, 02:46 AM
I said it on acorn or here back in January. Rick is 100% right on this. It is a game of bluff over who need who most and people are now waking up to the fact that Google need them more than they need Google. When Google started trying to mess with my sites in Penguin etc, it was a wake up call to share out the traffic streams. Offload adsense and not put all my eggs in one basket. I am no longer reliant on Google and starting to take some of my sites out of there, news sites for example. Why should I share that with Google? So they can click on ads before they get to my site? No thanks. I have search facilities on my site if people want to use them.

A good strategy on Facebook or twitter will bring in much more traffic than Google. I have done it on 4-5 of my sites and the traffic from those sources is 500-600% that of what Google sends me for being top for that term.

So I guess you can sum it all up by saying the obvious, don't put all your traffic or income streams into the Google basket, share it out. It easy to get blinkered in to thinking your business needs Google,you don't and the ironic thing is the more you hate Google the more Google likes you.