PDA

View Full Version : Help with purchase

rfranck
01-10-12, 03:32 PM
Hello all,

I realize this forum is for much more technical discussions than my novice questions but im in real need of help so hopefully some of you will take your time and answer some of my questions.

I need to make a domain name purchase for the company I work for, and given the dodgy nature of the domain name industry I need all the help I can get so make sure I wont be out of a job for wasting the company´s money.. So here goes.

I want to purchase a domain registered with networksolutions.com. I have come in contact with the company DomainAdvisors (which according to my research is a legit firm acting as brokers for domainnamesales.com). I will pay using escrow.com, and ive made sure it is the real escrow.com and not a fraudulent site and that is all fine and well. Now my questions are concerning what happens when I receive the domain name. During the inspection period, how can I actually confirm the domain has been transferred to me? Will whois.net update that information?

What is the best way to make sure I am actually in control of the domain?

Also, how does it work with a contract, should I get that at the same time as the domain?

The site is registered with networksolutions.com, who Ive heard are quite good at getting extra fees out of people. I want to transfer the domain name to a british web host that I use and heard I have to wait 60 days before this is possible. Thoughts on that? Should I get the registration contract that the domain name has with networksolutions along with the domain as well?

Any help would be much appreciated and preferably as soon as possible.

Thank you all advance

atlas
01-10-12, 04:21 PM
Hello all,

I realize this forum is for much more technical discussions than my novice questions but im in real need of help so hopefully some of you will take your time and answer some of my questions.

I think you'll find people are quite happy to help!

I need to make a domain name purchase for the company I work for, and given the dodgy nature of the domain name industry I need all the help I can get so make sure I wont be out of a job for wasting the company´s money.. So here goes.

I'm not sure the industry is dodgy but it is helpful to understand how things work.

I want to purchase a domain registered with networksolutions.com. I have come in contact with the company DomainAdvisors (which according to my research is a legit firm acting as brokers for domainnamesales.com). I will pay using escrow.com, and ive made sure it is the real escrow.com and not a fraudulent site and that is all fine and well. Now my questions are concerning what happens when I receive the domain name. During the inspection period, how can I actually confirm the domain has been transferred to me? Will whois.net update that information?

DomainAdvisors is definitely a legit company. They act as brokers for many, not just DomainNameSales. Using Escrow.com pretty much protects you from anything that can go wrong.

When the seller initiates the domain transfer, you will receive an email from Nominet asking you whether you would like to receive the domain. During that process, if you don't have an account with Nominet already, you will create one with your contact information. As well, you will have the opportunity to choose which registrar (tag) you would like to use.

What is the best way to make sure I am actually in control of the domain?

You will see it in the Nominet account that you create. You can also check the official uk whois at:
http://www.nominet.org.uk/
(where it says whois lookup)

Also, how does it work with a contract, should I get that at the same time as the domain?

I think most people here would say that a contract is unnecessary. I don't think a contract can provide much more protection than Escrow.com does.

The site is registered with networksolutions.com, who Ive heard are quite good at getting extra fees out of people. I want to transfer the domain name to a british web host that I use and heard I have to wait 60 days before this is possible. Thoughts on that? Should I get the registration contract that the domain name has with networksolutions along with the domain as well?

There is no 60 day wait period for uk domains and as mentioned above, when you do the transfer, you can simultaneously change the registrar. Personally, I would not want a domain registered with the same company that hosted it for simple risk minimisation. DomainMonster.com I think are generally considered a decent UK registrar. There are several problematic ones and I'd do some research first before choosing a registrar. I'm not sure what you mean by "the registration contract that the domain name has with networksolutions along with the domain as well." Each registrar will have its own terms and conditions that you agree too when you move your domain there.

atlas
01-10-12, 04:24 PM
Looks like you can't keep the domain at Network Solutions anyhow:
http://www.networksolutions.com/support/transfers-within-network-solutions-2/

The following domain extensions are currently UNABLE to transfer within Network Solutions® Accounts:

..... .co.uk .....

Edwin
01-10-12, 04:27 PM
I assume you're talking about a ".com" domain? If that's the case then unfortunately the above helpful post doesn't apply...

atlas
01-10-12, 04:43 PM
I assume you're talking about a ".com" domain? If that's the case then unfortunately the above helpful post doesn't apply...

Yes, Edwin is correct. Sorry, I assumed this was a .co.uk domain.

rfranck
01-10-12, 05:05 PM
Thanks for advice anyway, sorry for not specifying its a .com domain name

So does anyone know how it works in the US then?

Edwin
01-10-12, 05:55 PM
If the domain name is newer than 60 days, then it can only be pushed within a registrar's system.

If it's older than 60 days, it should be transferrable on receipt of an "Auth Code". The seller may also need to go into their domain control panel and "unlock" the domain name so that it can be transferred.

However - and this is where things get sticky - some unscrupulous registrars treat ANY change as an excuse to start the clock ticking on the 60 day "no transfer" window. So for example, the simple act of unlocking a domain for transfer would itself prevent the transfer until after 60 days have passed. This is a real pain, but not something that individual registrants can control.

Your best bet is to set up a registrar account with whatever registrar the domain name is registered with, and get the current owner to "push" the domain into your account. Then after 60 days have passed, you'll be able to get an "Auth Code" and move it to whatever registrar you like.