PDA

View Full Version : New promotion from Nominet

GreyWing
27-09-12, 04:39 PM
Got this From Nominet today, sounds pretty good to me and much better way to spend the surplus rather than everything going to the trust.

Dear Registrar

We think that .UK is A Great Place To Be and we want to help you grow your business and drive new .UK registrations.

We are delighted to announce that our .UK Co-marketing initiative is now open for applications. This is designed to support specific .UK-focused marketing activities of .UK registrars in 2013. The initiative will support approved applications by contributing to your campaign marketing spend, subject to specific terms and conditions.

This means you can:

- Receive funding towards driving growth in your .UK domain business
- Increase the ROI of your marketing budget
- Align yourself with the .UK A Great Place To Be campaign, signposting
yourself as a .UK registrar

We have created an information pack with more information and details about the application process as well as specific terms and conditions. To receive a copy of this pack please email ********@nominet.org.uk with your Nominet TAG and we'll send you out all the information you need. The closing date for applications is the 31st December 2012 or when the funding limit is reached.

We're looking forward to working with you in the future.

Best wishes

The .UK Brand Team

Brassneck
27-09-12, 05:28 PM
As the register begins to peak - or maybe decline given the decreasing rate of renewals - I assume we will see more of these kind of promotions. Not quite sure how they can justify giving money away to commercial companies though - "Receive funding towards driving growth in your .UK domain business" - how will that work? Seems like we have 2-tier registrars now.

Stephen.

Nadya
04-10-12, 12:22 PM
This sounds a lot like a Verisign co-marketing initiative, or any gTLD registry outreach campaign for that matter. Is Nominet waking up to the fact that for many "high-street" registrars their extension is just another product on the shelf, and it needs stimulation to be placed "at eye level" for buyers, given lower registry growth rates and the prospect of new gTLDs? I'm certainly not saying .UK is worthless, just an observation.

aZooZa
04-10-12, 12:29 PM
I think the sentiment has taken quite a different turn now:

http://www.ukdomainforum.co.uk/showthread.php?1411-Nominet-consultation-for-new-uk-domain-name

Nadya
04-10-12, 12:57 PM
Arguably, it all ties in together: if Direct.uk initiative pans out, registrars will need to educate their clients about more choice in the .UK space, and if it doesn't, Nominet will look for alternative ways to keep registrations growing. Admittedly, it's difficult to submit a proposal for a co-marketing initiative until the results of the consultation phase, so the timing for this is somewhat off.

Brassneck
04-10-12, 07:20 PM
Was asked to publish one of the promotional videos on our business site today - http://www.here4business.co.uk/the-benefits-of-uk-domain-names-new-nominet-promotional-video/ - not too inspiring.