PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone 5 anyone? :)

invincible
12-09-12, 07:41 PM
The iPhone 5 has been announced (just do a Google). There doesn't appear to be any surprises; most of it was leaked before today. However it will support EE's (http://www.ee.co.uk) 4G on the 1800Mhz frequency so those living in the initial 16 cities that are earmarked to have that will be able to make use of an iPhone 5 with it. Out of interest did Everything Everywhere acquire ee.co.uk at the 2 letter auctions or did they buy it from the winner after?

So iPhone 5 has a 4" screen, thus taller, but the display isn't any higher resolution so apps won't need recompiling. Better camera including 720p front for Facetime HD. Faster A6 processor. New iOS 6. No apparent NFC. Slimmer and 20% lighter than 4S. New "Lightning" dock connector to replace older 30 pin connector. New "earpods" to replace old style headphones. Is that it?

I have a nearly 2 year old 4. I'm consider a 5 but will buy it SIM free from Apple if I get it. Undecided until I see the web site detailing it for myself. :)

Sean
12-09-12, 07:54 PM
I sold my iPhone 4 recently in anticipation of this launch and bought a Nokia Lumia as a stop gap. I really liked the Windows Phone OS at first, so much so that I considered sticking with it but having lived with it for a few weeks it's got lots of little glitches that individually wouldn't cause an issue but collectively spoil the product so I think I'm going to be in the queue behind you.

I did consider an Android phone but I was in Car Phone Warehouse a few weeks ago and I can't believe that someone would carry the Samsung Galaxy S3 around, it's a monster of a phone!

invincible
12-09-12, 08:12 PM
I sold my iPhone 4 recently in anticipation of this launch

I plan to keep my 4 indefinitely as a spare, usable, handset if I buy the new 5. Did you get more than £150 (i.e. what places like mazoma are offering)? :)

and bought a Nokia Lumia as a stop gap. I really liked the Windows Phone OS at first, so much so that I considered sticking with it but having lived with it for a few weeks it's got lots of little glitches that individually wouldn't cause an issue but collectively spoil the product so I think I'm going to be in the queue behind you.

I believe Microsoft will be releasing a 7.8 update so perhaps that will address some of the issues? I'm keen to see the Lumia 920 which will run Windows Phones 8 when it is released but I probably won't buy it due to lack of the apps that I use.

I did consider an Android phone but I was in Car Phone Warehouse a few weeks ago and I can't believe that someone would carry the Samsung Galaxy S3 around, it's a monster of a phone!

I am not sure how I'd cope. I suppose the best way is to make a template of the same size from some stiff card and then try that in your pocket for a while? :)

Sean
12-09-12, 08:28 PM
I plan to keep my 4 indefinitely as a spare, usable, handset if I buy the new 5. Did you get more than £150 (i.e. what places like mazoma are offering)? :)

It was two years old and I drew £255 for it. I paid £325 for it new with a 12 month contract so felt like the right thing to do.

I believe Microsoft will be releasing a 7.8 update so perhaps that will address some of the issues? I'm keen to see the Lumia 920 which will run Windows Phones 8 when it is released but I probably won't buy it due to lack of the apps that I use.

It's had its chance and there's an even bigger issue which is the battery life, I can't get a day out of it. The lad in Car Phone Warehouse did try to warn me off the Lumia range, said they'd had countless issues with them but I wasn't for listening so only myself to blame.

I am not sure how I'd cope. I suppose the best way is to make a template of the same size from some stiff card and then try that in your pocket for a while? :)

Ooh Er Matron! You've been watching too much Carry On David ;)

invincible
12-09-12, 08:37 PM
Ooh Er Matron! You've been watching too much Carry On David ;)

I did pause for a moment when I typed "stiff" but then I thought nooooo, nobody will make anything of that word! ;) :D

The iPhone 5 will take what is called a nanoSIM which is smaller than the microSIM of the 4/4S. Apparently a nanoSIM is also thinner so it might not be possible to cut a microSIM down to a nanoSIM as it was possible to cut a miniSIM to a microSIM. I'm saying this because it makes it more difficult to keep a 4/4S as a spare because you'd have to get the network to switch a microSIM back on.

Added: actually there are already nanoSIM to microSIM and nanoSIM to miniSIM adapters available so once one has a nanoSIM it should be easy to fit that back into any handset that uses a microSIM or miniSIM.

Jamie101
12-09-12, 09:11 PM
Big let down in my opinion. Thought there would be at least one or two things that I didn't expect. Wasn't going to buy it anyway though :P

I'm still happy with my 4. :)

invincible
12-09-12, 09:17 PM
Big let down in my opinion. Thought there would be at least one or two things that I didn't expect. Wasn't going to buy it anyway though :P

I'm still happy with my 4. :)

What does it not have that you would have wanted? 4G LTE (if you live in an area covered) is a big thing don't you think? Also Facetime (and in HD) over mobile network? I doubt we'd have seen a higher resolution screen (in terms of pixels per inch) - could that be possible?

Realistically I'll probably order one on 14th and wait for it to arrive, then ask my network to send me a nanoSIM. Perhaps iOS 7 could be a new UI?

Edwin
12-09-12, 09:20 PM
I can see how it could be quite a step up from a 4, if not from a 4S, especially if one of the things one uses a phone for is taking photos and videos. The 4S was a big improvement in that respect, from all accounts, and the 5 sounds like it's made further strides towards equalling a low-mid end digital compact camera. And of course two generations of speedier processors can't be a bad thing. My instinct is that this is going to be the last "exciting" phone from Apple for quite a while, if one doesn't do any serious gaming, as the spec will probably be "responsive enough" (and when LTE/4G finally arrives, fast enough) for just about any "day to day" use. Much as a top of the range PC today can run just about any kind of non-game software effectively "instantly".

Jamie101
12-09-12, 10:37 PM
What does it not have that you would have wanted? 4G LTE (if you live in an area covered) is a big thing don't you think? Also Facetime (and in HD) over mobile network? I doubt we'd have seen a higher resolution screen (in terms of pixels per inch) - could that be possible?

Realistically I'll probably order one on 14th and wait for it to arrive, then ask my network to send me a nanoSIM. Perhaps iOS 7 could be a new UI?

I honestly don't know to be honest with you, but I just felt like the 4S wasn't a huge change compared to the 4 so I kind of expected something different about the iPhone 5 (I know it has a bigger screen and stuff, but still!).

Maybe the problem is that the iPhone 4/4S already has pretty much everything that I need though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

Sean
12-09-12, 10:58 PM
Maybe the problem is that the iPhone 4/4S already has pretty much everything that I need though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

Exactly, your complaining because Apple aren't giving you a reason to replace something that works great already. You should be thankful, you can buy a new 7" iPad in October now ;)

aZooZa
13-09-12, 12:45 AM
I gave my g/f my iPhone 4 a while back, and bought a Galaxy S III here in China. I immediately ditched the Chinese ROM and flashed it to UK stock specification. Now I don't see any reason to want an iPhone 5.

Some comparisons:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-4s_n_1878666.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

Caz
13-09-12, 01:08 AM
How they could stand there and announce this to the world with pride god only knows.

It was a disgrace of a product launch.

Their new logo should be two fingers.

Must have been like watching the final scene of the last episode of the Sopranos for the invited guests.

invincible
13-09-12, 02:37 AM
How they could stand there and announce this to the world with pride god only knows.

It was a disgrace of a product launch.

[snip]

What do you think Apple should have included that they didn't include? An even bigger display? NFC? A screen on both sides?

The preview of iOS 6 has been available for ages. Much of iOS 6 will work on the 2 year old iPhone 4 and year old 4S. It's not as if anyone has been expecting a major interface change.

Things like a microSD slot, removable battery or a slide out qwerty keyboard were never going to appear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aZooZa
13-09-12, 02:38 AM
Given that the life span of the iPhone is generally a year, I can't understand why Apple have left out NFC. They could have cleaned up in that lucrative market for small value debit transactions via smartphone. They've also had the time and money to have built all the necessary technical and financial relationships in the last year. I know NFC is still early days (although my Barclaycard has been able to do it for years), but Apple could have really made NFC the killer reason to buy an iPhone 5.

To wit:

http://gigaom.com/2012/03/08/nfc-to-reach-74-billion-in-transactions-by-2015/

invincible
13-09-12, 02:42 AM
Given that the life span of the iPhone is generally a year, I can't understand why Apple have left out NFC.

[snip]

Cynically speaking, for the same reason they didn't put 3G in the original iPhone despite that technology being in common use by October 2007. It'll probably appear in the 5S.

I've got NFC in my BlackBerry Bold 9900 but I'm not sure how I could actually use it if I wanted to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aZooZa
14-09-12, 07:59 AM
The public's reaction to the new iPhone 5:

http://youtu.be/rdIWKytq_q4

invincible
14-09-12, 08:17 AM
The public's reaction to the new iPhone 5:

http://youtu.be/rdIWKytq_q4

Just watching.

Apple store just went back online to take preorders for the 5.

aZooZa
15-09-12, 09:20 AM
iPhone 6 etc. - logical progressions?

http://tech.ifeng.com/photo/lifedigi/detail_2012_09/14/17618701_0.shtml#p=16

rob
15-09-12, 09:44 AM
Not entirely sure whats 'better' than my current HTC one x - so will stick with that for abit.

What will be interesting is the new HTC windows phone out soon, will indicate if its nokia who are rubbish or if its windows phones!

(all IMHO, not trying to troll!)