PDA

View Full Version : Google - Car Insurance.

Mojoco
10-09-12, 05:34 PM
Google now taking the first result in a search for car insurance

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=car+insurance

atlas
10-09-12, 05:58 PM
Sucks :( There goes the value of car insurance domains.

Google are rolling into more and more verticals - they've already gone after credit cards and mortgages.

GreyWing
10-09-12, 06:56 PM
Let me tell you how this will end.... Sites will block Google's bot and remove themselves from Google.

Much like Direct Line has done with an advertising slogan such as "can't find us on comparison websites". Ask yourself have you anything to lose when you are on page 4?

We are already doing it with "Quick Loans", ads going out next week on Radio. Once enough big companies do it, members of the public might get it into their heads that they need to look outsider the box for the best deals. At the moment the public don't really see the price fixing going on.

Google is biting the hands that feed it with stuff like the above.

Jamie101
10-09-12, 07:18 PM
Let me tell you how this will end.... Sites will block Google's bot and remove themselves from Google.

Much like Direct Line has done with an advertising slogan such as "can't find us on comparison websites". Ask yourself have you anything to lose when you are on page 4?

We are already doing it with "Quick Loans", ads going out next week on Radio. Once enough big companies do it, members of the public might get it into their heads that they need to look outsider the box for the best deals. At the moment the public don't really see the price fixing going on.

Google is biting the hands that feed it with stuff like the above.

That's actually a really good point. Never really thought of that to be honest.

Surely it's quite risky for Google to do things like this since it will annoy a lot of people who worked really hard to rank well. However, I'm sure if we were in Google's position we'd think about doing the same thing to make even more money.

GreyWing
10-09-12, 07:26 PM
But would you advertise with your competitors? I know we can say if we were Google would we be doing that but just on a business level I hope most of us wouldn't. As it isn't smart long term.

As more and more people see Google as competitors than their ads will start to drop off as they pee of their customers and their consumers. Consumers will no longer see them as impartial, it is a myth that they are but the point is that the public see them as such.

Anyway, they are just waiting for the EU to ban Google for this stuff, I hate the EU with every ounce of my earthly soul but they are a hell of a force when it comes to giving the big yankie tech companies a slap. They will come down like a ton of bricks on this anti competitive behaviour.

If Cameron hadn't sold out to Google his Government would be doing it.

Sean
10-09-12, 08:40 PM
The problem is that Google has got non tech people (the majority) conditioned to think they can only find a web site by typing it into Google. My mate rings me and says things like "type rightmove.com into Google" and no matter how many times I say type rightmove.com in the f*ckin address bar, he and every other none tech person I know still use Google as their gateway into a site.

aZooZa
11-09-12, 05:22 AM
I don't see that result with "car insurance" but I do see it for "credit cards". Also, this disclaimer at the bottom of their lander:

Google is a trading name of BeatThatQuote.com Limited, an appointed representative of Best Value Financial Services Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA). Its FSA registration number is FRN 449766, you can check this on the FSA's Register by visiting the FSA's website www.fsa.gov.uk/register/home.do or by contacting the FSA on 0845*606*1234. Credit cards are not regulated by the FSA. Best Value Financial Services Limited is registered in England, registration number 05713064, registered office at 5 New Street Square, London, EC4A*3TW.

Strange?

Mojoco
11-09-12, 12:48 PM
Good point about advertisers Graeme. If you were one of the larger insurance companies why would you pay to advertise with Google if they are giving themselves a priority position.

Have to say though, I clicked through and got a dummy insurance quote. I was offered a couple of very competitive prices.

atlas
11-09-12, 01:32 PM
Strange?

Google bought BeatThatQuote.com a while back.

secname
11-09-12, 01:35 PM
Google bought BeatThatQuote.com a while back.

when i click that link i get an affilaite future url then the website?

rob
12-09-12, 12:06 PM
"Based on your search query, we think you are trying to find car insurance. Clicking in this box will take you to our service that can provide you with car insurance quotes from car insurance providers. Our service is free to you but to operate this service, we are compensated by these providers."

A lovely phrase to be fair! :)

Aaron
12-09-12, 12:10 PM
Also to be fair to them, it's a pretty slick looking form. People can't really complain though, are you saying if you owned Google and had the opportunity to earn millions from referring car insurance leads then you wouldn't do it? Just because your site is ranking in Google you don't have a "right" to be there, most people should be happy that ranking well on Google has made a lot of people ALOT of money, people are quick to forget that when things aren't going their own way.

atlas
12-09-12, 01:04 PM
when i click that link i get an affilaite future url then the website?

I think UKDF may be using skimlinks.

aZooZa
12-09-12, 01:25 PM
I think UKDF may be using skimlinks.
Yes, we applied for a Skimlinks account for another project and used UKDF as a testbed and for the application process.

aZooZa
12-09-12, 01:35 PM
Also to be fair to them, it's a pretty slick looking form. People can't really complain though, are you saying if you owned Google and had the opportunity to earn millions from referring car insurance leads then you wouldn't do it? Just because your site is ranking in Google you don't have a "right" to be there, most people should be happy that ranking well on Google has made a lot of people ALOT of money, people are quick to forget that when things aren't going their own way.
I agree with this in principle, however Google has become a heinous monopoly. But until consumers stop using them, or someone comes along with a new way of doing things, we're all stuck with the status quo I guess.

secname
12-09-12, 03:23 PM
Yes, we applied for a Skimlinks account for another project and used UKDF as a testbed and for the application process.

ah thanks, thought google was using affiliate futre lol.

atlas
21-09-12, 02:00 PM
A really in-depth article here comparing the online car insurance markets in the UK and US:
http://www.seobook.com/google-car-insurance