PDA

View Full Version : Two Letter Market Insight

rob
28-08-12, 09:15 AM
Not sure where to put this so its in here!

A LL.co.uk is up on domainlore, which could be interesting to see where the reseller market places it.

Not great letters, would imagine has some rarity value so guess 750-1000?

To me there is not much difference to yzx.co.uk to zx.co.uk

For balance, I have heard of some good sales / flips but I get the feeling some have been left holding the tulips so to speak.

BigAnt
28-08-12, 09:53 AM
Totally agree on the tulip statement, plenty of pretty useless mutton sold off Nominet's lamb rack I would say!

atlas
28-08-12, 02:12 PM
An interesting auction that will show the state of the LL.co.uk market.

I think Graeme has said on many occasions that this market has been declining, and I think he's likely correct about this.

atlas
31-08-12, 05:30 PM
Auction closed at £1,600 - what do people think about this result?

GreyWing
31-08-12, 05:35 PM
I think he was lucky mate..... still wouldn't have a clue how on earth someone is going to make that name pay. I wouldn't give £400 for it, it would just sit there until someone came to buy it.

You could use it for Jaguar XJ, but then get DRS'd? But even at £1600, it must show now that random non meaning LL's were over priced in general.

Mojoco
31-08-12, 05:50 PM
I'm not surprised that it made £1600 but it has very limited uses aside from the obvious Jaguar connection, which could of course cause a problem.

How much did the domain sell for when it was released by Nominet ?

Jamie101
31-08-12, 07:16 PM
I'm not surprised that it made £1600 but it has very limited uses aside from the obvious Jaguar connection, which could of course cause a problem.

How much did the domain sell for when it was released by Nominet ?

Someone on Acorn said that the seller made £500 if that helps?

atlas
31-08-12, 08:45 PM
Here's Ty's list:
http://exacts.co.uk/nominet-short-domain-auctions-who-got-what/

The price for xj.co.uk is not on there.

yx.co.uk seems to have sold for £900 - looks like the lowest priced LL.co.uk on the list.

alex
31-08-12, 10:35 PM
I was very tempted to bid based on the fact I could trade under the brand aleXJordan.co.uk (or XJ), but then thought there are better things to do and actually what benefit would I really have? I think the price is fair, not much potential for resale and I have no idea how the buyer will monetise the site, but I think £1500-£2000 is a fair price for a LL.co.uk for vanity purposes, but like the LLL.co.uk market I wouldn't be surprised if the average price falls over the coming months. Good luck the the buyer.

Aaron
31-08-12, 10:54 PM
An interesting auction that will show the state of the LL.co.uk market.

I'm not sure that comment quite covers it, the people who bought the LL.co.uk's during the auctions were only speculating a price on what they thought the market for LL.co.uk's would be, as until after the auctions there wasn't a market for LL.co.uk's , is there even a proper market?...I've seen maybe three or four on public sale, and know of several decent private LL.co.uk sales but that's about it, it's not like there is 18,000+ of them like LLL's.

I don't think the market can be judged on two or three sales, It's like selling car.co.uk and spa.co.uk and then just from them sale prices saying that's the price of all LLL.co.uk's.

(The above isn't aimed at you atlas, just an observation) :)

GreyWing
31-08-12, 11:11 PM
But there wasn't a market for facebook shares either mate, so I guess when you have something with no researchable established value you have to strip everything back to the important factors and I said this before the names went on the market....

i.e Assuming that it was a financial investment and not a name that was of personal importance to you, what are you going to do with the name? What are you going to do with anything you buy whether it is a name or not to get a return?

Aaron
31-08-12, 11:41 PM
Well people presumed that they would be able to sell them for more than they have bought them, and from the sales I know off they've got more money than they paid for them every time. The market can't be bad if people are making a profit, and as you said there wasn't a market before so how do we know the market is bad for them?

GreyWing
01-09-12, 12:43 AM
Well people presumed that they would be able to sell them for more than they have bought them, and from the sales I know off they've got more money than they paid for them every time. The market can't be bad if people are making a profit,

In terms of random LL's I only know of this one that has gone to a true valuation on an open market. There was another one last year / maybe early this year where it was ended on DL for a bit of shill bidding. The other point is that nobody (or very few) is really going to say that they sold an LL privately and lost money on it.

By the way though people need to remember those auction sales reported for Nominet's auctions were plus VAT. Domainlore's do not charge VAT, the seller has to take the hit on that one.

and as you said there wasn't a market before so how do we know the market is bad for them?

I'd say in answer to that, because they hit at least reseller market rate at auction. Non trademark auctions were open to anyone to apply, I don't really see who these people thought they were going to sell them too bearing in mind that anyone who would have been bothered had already showed they weren't bothered or weren't willing to pay more than the original buyer in the auction. Catch 22 as far as selling them on was concerned.

Of course if they had someone in mind to sell it to once they had bought it, then now you are entering DRS territory. So whichever way you square it, the odds are well and truly stacked against you.

But to add another reason to your question above. I wouldn't personally go around investing in stuff because I didn't have a reason not too. Again personal preference but I'd rather invest in things where I had a clear reason too.

I do understand other people's points of view on it but if you go back 12 months and look at generics available on forums to buy for the £2,000 mark (which was cheap for an LL) you could have had some great buys and made websites out of them.

Aaron
01-09-12, 01:23 AM
Just to add to my post, I didn't rate LL.co.uk's in the first place :).

GreyWing
01-09-12, 03:37 AM
You've just stolen my thunder mate..... god dam it ;)

Have I been trolled haha, we need some more bans giving out on this site :D

atlas
03-09-12, 03:25 PM
The same seller has just posted UJ.co.uk for sale on DomainLore.

GreyWing
03-09-12, 03:34 PM
The same seller has just posted UJ.co.uk for sale on DomainLore.

I think he wants out mate... as one of the earlier ones to jump ship he should be better placed than the others.

atlas
04-09-12, 01:06 AM
I think he wants out mate... as one of the earlier ones to jump ship he should be better placed than the others.

I think you are right Graeme - he has just posted WY.co.uk for sale as well.

Edwin
04-09-12, 08:50 AM
I don't have a strong opinion either way on the value of 2-letter .co.uk names at this point (too early to tell) but I certainly believe that DL auctions promoted to Acorn and a few other "insider" places are not a particularly good way to judge value, especially given how far some of the prices of domains (in general) have fallen on DL recently.

That pattern is not reflected in the prices I'm seeing end-users paying, and it just goes to emphasize the ocean-wide gulf between "domainer fire-sale" prices (where people are after bigger and bigger and bigger "bargains") and real-world prices.

atlas
07-09-12, 03:07 PM
UJ.co.uk just closed at £900 - looks like it was bought for £930.

After taking VAT into account, I would think that's a fair sized loss in such a short time.

£900 seems to be the floor value for a random combination of LL.co.uk so far.

atlas
07-09-12, 03:32 PM
WY.co.uk just closed for the same amount - £900.

I don't know the purchase price.

People seem more cautious this week than last.

Aaron
07-09-12, 03:34 PM
As i said above, I know of private sales of similar combinations going for a lot more, the floor value for "domainers" may be £900, but it certainly doesn't show there value to end users by the prices fetched on DomainLore. IMO a great deal for the buyer.

Brassneck
07-09-12, 05:54 PM
As i said above, I know of private sales of similar combinations going for a lot more, the floor value for "domainers" may be £900, but it certainly doesn't show there value to end users by the prices fetched on DomainLore. IMO a great deal for the buyer.

I wish I had a pound for every time the phrase "great deal for the buyer" or similar was used. No doubt there are 2 letter combinations which able to be sold to end users at higher prices but I personally wouldn't touch them for anything like £900. Of course, I might be wrong and missing opportunities but there must have been a lot of people seeing these on auction with fairly deep pockets.

Stephen.

Aaron
07-09-12, 05:57 PM
The reason for me saying "a great deal for the buyer":

aZooZa
09-09-12, 01:38 AM
These latest two seem to have set the bar height - and I think £900 is quite low, but the market is what it is. I think people will be more inclined to think about what £1,000 can buy in terms of generics in what is now very much a buyers' market.

atlas
12-09-12, 01:07 PM
FY.co.uk is now up for auction on DomainLore - but with an unknown reserve.

atlas
17-09-12, 07:35 PM
... and YE.co.uk is now on auction on DomainLore.

atlas
19-09-12, 02:03 PM
FY.co.uk just closed - £1,300 reserve not met.

Looks like it originally sold for £1,900.

Strangely, it looks to me like the high bidder was the original owner of the domain, who must have flipped it already.

GreyWing
19-09-12, 05:12 PM
Looks like they are starting to run for the hills now, one every week... Don't want to be left holding these when the music stops.

YE.co.uk is on, they really need to round up some end users and alert them to the auction because resellers won't pay anything near what Nominet sold them for.

atlas
21-09-12, 03:14 PM
YE.co.uk sold for £1,100. I'm not sure what the original price was.

atlas
21-09-12, 07:16 PM
Same seller has placed SU.co.uk up for sale on DomainLore now.

atlas
27-09-12, 03:03 PM
SU.co.uk closed at £1750.

atlas
28-09-12, 05:09 PM
Same chap has put XA.co.uk up for sale on DomainLore.

atlas
04-10-12, 05:12 PM
XA.co.uk sold for £900

Do people feel that the recent announcement by Nominet for possible .uk domains will have a short/long-term negative effect on LL.co.uk (or indeed LLL.co.uk) prices?

I guess that the jury is still out on this and a lot is going to depend on how .uk is rolled out. I would think that there is going to be a downward pressure on all .co.uk prices. However, so far it looks to me like things are still same as before the direct.uk announcement. Dale mentioned in another thread how he hasn't really experienced many cancellations of drop catch bookings.

atlas
12-10-12, 03:00 PM
IU.co.uk sold on Sedo yesterday for $4101 or about £2550.

It had previously sold for £2,200 on DomainLore in September 2011:
http://domainlore.co.uk/IU.co.uk

atlas
13-12-12, 06:02 PM
On the Great Domains auction today:

xj.co.uk closed at £555 reserve not met, and

il.co.uk closed at £1111 reserve not met.

atlas
24-01-13, 06:03 PM
IU.co.uk sold on Sedo yesterday for $4101 or about £2550.

It had previously sold for £2,200 on DomainLore in September 2011:
http://domainlore.co.uk/IU.co.uk

Another auction for IU.co.uk just ended on Sedo at £1200 reserve not met.

Reserve was between £1000 and £4999.