PDA

View Full Version : Speed >

me
08-02-12, 02:14 PM
After building a rocket script and catching some stuff but seeing regular big hitters getting great domains i ask myself is it my script or is there just a lot of luck involved down to the milisecond,i still cant quite work it out either way ?

aZooZa
08-02-12, 02:37 PM
The essentials are a good script, decent latency and quite a lot of luck.

me
08-02-12, 02:53 PM
Thanks, i think Lady Luck plays a huge part as i believe i probably got the other two....

Aaron
08-02-12, 03:45 PM
Fair but of luck, the main functionality of most peoples scripts will be pretty similar, however tweaks, RTT and other factors do come into it.

rob
08-02-12, 04:06 PM
Historically speaking I would say there are tricks and secrets, however when anyone asks its 'luck' :)

aZooZa
08-02-12, 04:10 PM
Historically speaking I would say there are tricks and secrets, however when anyone asks its 'luck' :)
That's oh so true!

It should be fun to discuss the old days if/when Nominet decide to kick catching to the kerb. There are a couple of 'old hands' on here already ;)

rob
08-02-12, 04:15 PM
Now that I would read :)

Backorder
08-02-12, 04:56 PM
I think it's more luck and tatics based now than it used to be.

Aaron
08-02-12, 07:53 PM
That's oh so true!

It should be fun to discuss the old days if/when Nominet decide to kick catching to the kerb. There are a couple of 'old hands' on here already ;)

Would be nice to discuss in detail drop catching with others! However when this planned change goes ahead there will still be names dropping (all be it not many!) so I'd still guess we'll be keeping our cards to our chests to try and get what's left :).

Whibs
13-03-12, 06:55 PM
With the changes being pushed at Nominet i feel the the catching will all but dry up, if registrars have the rights to make those decisions inevitably they will hook up with companies like DomCollect and NameMedia where thay can guarantee a bulk purchase of expiring domains. Alternativley registrars like 123 reg will simply allow back ordering via bidding in the same manner as SnapNames.

Those domains not registered will be left to the catchers, in my opinion these changes are coming far quicker than we expect and will certainly make a big difference to the resellers opportunties.

GreyWing
13-03-12, 07:13 PM
With the changes being pushed at Nominet i feel the the catching will all but dry up, if registrars have the rights to make those decisions inevitably they will hook up with companies like DomCollect and NameMedia where thay can guarantee a bulk purchase of expiring domains. Alternativley registrars like 123 reg will simply allow back ordering via bidding in the same manner as SnapNames.

Those domains not registered will be left to the catchers, in my opinion these changes are coming far quicker than we expect and will certainly make a big difference to the resellers opportunties.

Those changes didn't go ahead, or have been put on the backburner for a while. Really good decision by Nominet to listen to feedback from all different angles of the membership who didn't want to see this. Catching is dying due to the names not dropping like they used to, will be over in the next year or two just because of the people renewing their names.

Whibs
13-03-12, 07:24 PM
I would llay a freindly bet that by this time next year these changes will be instigated.

Any takers:)

GreyWing
13-03-12, 08:18 PM
Actually I'd take people up on that. In the past Nominet would usually steam roller things through. This is a bit different because of the people that objected to it, not just the usual domainers objecting. People like Alex Bligh, Hazel Pegg and others were all against this and strongly against it on Nominet's member forum. These people don't usually see eye to eye with those in the secondary market, so it counts for a lot when everyone comes together with one mind.

In fact I couldn't name a single person who was for it... I can't see this going ahead.

astutiumRob
29-08-12, 06:55 PM
The essentials are a good script, decent latency and quite a lot of luck.

The efficiency of the script is a very significant factor - hammering the DAC day & night isn't the be-all and end-all, there's also the issuing of the actual registration requests - actually seen good results with preprepared automaton emails, which are signed and sent as soon as te domain drops :)

We host systems for a number of catchers, mid-range servers do a lot better than VPS/Cloud, Linux does better than Windows in terms of milliseconds to nominet, but that's insignificant when the script takes half a second to decide to try and do the registration.

aZooZa
29-08-12, 08:13 PM
The efficiency of the script is a very significant factor - hammering the DAC day & night isn't the be-all and end-all, there's also the issuing of the actual registration requests - actually seen good results with preprepared automaton emails, which are signed and sent as soon as te domain drops :)

Pretty fundamental stuff...

Aaron
29-08-12, 10:01 PM

We host systems for a number of catchers, mid-range servers do a lot better than VPS/Cloud, Linux does better than Windows in terms of milliseconds to nominet, but that's insignificant when the script takes half a second to decide to try and do the registration.

IMO there is no way PGP can be as fast as the EPP, mainly because it's against the TOS to keep a persistent connection to the Automaton open. Prett sure that the EPP route has to be quicker. I've actually also experienced better results on a cloud server than a high end dedicated server at the same company.

aZooZa
30-08-12, 01:24 AM
PGP is useful if the EPP system is down. There's no need to keep a persistent connection. The rest is in the code and how you write it ;)

monaghan
30-08-12, 08:57 AM
how often is the EPP down and the automaton not also down? I guess you may be able to get a "quick one" in the queue at the start of the outage and hope

aZooZa
30-08-12, 09:40 AM
how often is the EPP down and the automaton not also down?
I suppose that answer is in any logs you may or may not keep Alex.