PDA

View Full Version : The 10 year period

GreyWing
18-08-12, 06:22 PM
I wonder if anyone has a clue on the way Google looks at .uk domain names now you can extend them to 10 years. With the rise of the kamikaze sites that rank for a week or two and dissapear after being punished, will this be an indicator on how they rank?

Do they do that with the .com?

atlas
18-08-12, 06:31 PM
I've heard in the past that Google look at length of domain registration in ranking websites but never actually seen evidence of it from my experiments.

I think that it is pretty normal for new websites to bounce around in the rankings and part of it is a way for Google to test how searchers react to the site.

astutiumRob
29-08-12, 01:26 PM
I wonder if anyone has a clue on the way Google looks at .uk domain names now you can extend them to 10 years
Absolutely no different to the way they did when they were only in 2 year periods.
G *appears* to care of the domain is near/reaches expiry, beyond that length remaining has zero impact.

What's more important with multi-year registrations isn't actually the years bit, but the "renew at any time" feature, meaning you're no longer restricted to the last 180 days - good move Nominet - makes life as a registrar a *LOT* easier :)