PDA

View Full Version : ever tried to explain what you do for a living ?

Mojoco
17-08-12, 01:46 PM
http://domainincite.com/9876-best-domain-name-industry-video-ever

atlas
17-08-12, 02:21 PM
Saw that video before. It is really excellent.

On a serious note, how do you explain to others what you do for a living?

Aaron
19-08-12, 11:41 AM
I struggle, usually tell people i'm a web developer, I'm actually a PHP programmer. So often the first response is "can you build me a website?", I say "No, I do the code to make it work not the actual design etc", Then they loose interest. :)

aZooZa
19-08-12, 12:15 PM
I just say I work on the internet. Very few people seem to want to know more :D

GreyWing
19-08-12, 12:20 PM
Tell them Nominets version of things.... you invest loads of money into stuff that legally you never actually own.

I guess the next question is, ever tried to tell the tax man what you do? ;)

Brassneck
19-08-12, 04:20 PM
I just say I work on the internet. Very few people seem to want to know more :D

Yes think I will use that answer.

I have a business partner for one of my companies and he is an accountant by trade, and he hasn't got a clue what I do. He's just happy that we make some money.

Stephen.

Edwin
20-08-12, 08:55 AM
I say "I sell web addresses, you know those things with .co.uk at the end". People either get it, clearly don't, or on the rare occasion ask for more detail. In most cases, though, the discussion ends there :)

monaghan
22-08-12, 11:06 AM
Best response I got was quite a long time ago when me and the wife visited her friend. Her friend's mum got out her computer and asked me (in all seriousness) how to get past one of the levels on her game!

I find most people glaze over or change the subject when I mention Internet / domains / computers, either that or you get the "I've got this problem with my computer..." response.

aZooZa
22-08-12, 11:31 AM
I suppose you could just tell them that the best place is always 127.0.0.1 and that's where you work from. If indignation or incredulity follows, just say it's a PO Box number.