PDA

View Full Version : NominetIssues.com - "50 of my domains had been unexpectedly suspended"

rob
12-08-12, 01:39 PM
http://www.nominetissues.com

A good read from someone who has built a buisiness and had Nominet interfere.

"So, having made the decision to suspend the domains, representing years of hard work – Nominet shut me down without the courtesy of a letter or phone call. Now that’s very scary. If I had known that there was suddenly an issue with the partnership – I would have looked to resolve it. I don’t know how Nominet tried to inform on imminent disaster; but I subsequently found out that they sent me an email. Frankly, one email that could literally kill off a business is casual, lazy and shows a complete disregard for the people who fund Nominet."

Diabolical.

GreyWing
12-08-12, 02:10 PM
I suppose though mate, rules are the rules and people need to keep their details in order.

Not sure what else they could have done to be fair... as far as I can tell he contacted Nominet and they put them back live. That's the point about suspending them, if they had cancelled them then he would have had a point but they were only suspended. That's the point of suspension i.e to get the owner to notice the sites are offline and contact Nominet, who will then tell him how to fix it. Nominet emailed me over something last week, al lot sorted and no issues. At the end of the day the details need to be somewhat in order or anyone would claim to be the owner of the domain and nom would have no way of verifying who it actually belonged to. For example, a domain registered as "Graeme Wingate" with a false address. Well which "Graeme Wingate" owns it. Have to shut it down and find out when he rings.

Acorn is full of people reporting minor tech errors in details to get them suspended, it's a bleeding sport on there.

rob
12-08-12, 02:22 PM
Acorn is full of people reporting minor tech errors in details to get them suspended, it's a bleeding sport on there.

Interesting if there is any comeback on that - if someone had a name suspended and mislead nominet, would the liability be passed backwards?

GreyWing
12-08-12, 02:47 PM
Interesting if there is any comeback on that - if someone had a name suspended and mislead nominet, would the liability be passed backwards?

Indeed, I would like Nominet to ask the person reporting it; Why are you telling us this? What is in it for you? Maybe even a charge of £10 to submit a complaint just like someone starting a DRS.

Mojoco
12-08-12, 02:53 PM
One very valid reason to report incorrect whois details is if you want to contact the registrant. I have in the past reported incorrect whois, the record has then been updated. Which enabled me to contact the registrant and purchase the domain.

GreyWing
12-08-12, 03:03 PM
I think the thing is Mo that some people are sending out automated emails to Nominet (linked up to the same zone file type lists) and seeing what they can get suspended. So Nominet could get an a couple of hundred emails within an hour, all from a templated format.

I do know quite a few guys that just fire these things off at random and some do drop because of it, infact I'm not 100% sure but HGV.co.uk of mine dropped like that. I didn't catch it, I had to pay for it but there are some decent names that do fall through.

Imagine some on acorn knowing you were going away for a few months..... started doing summary DRS's and flagging admin errors in reg details.

nickgom
10-10-12, 09:52 PM
I suppose though mate, rules are the rules and people need to keep their details in order.

Not sure what else they could have done to be fair... as far as I can tell he contacted Nominet and they put them back live. That's the point about suspending them, if they had cancelled them then he would have had a point but they were only suspended. That's the point of suspension i.e to get the owner to notice the sites are offline and contact Nominet, who will then tell him how to fix it. Nominet emailed me over something last week, al lot sorted and no issues. At the end of the day the details need to be somewhat in order or anyone would claim to be the owner of the domain and nom would have no way of verifying who it actually belonged to. For example, a domain registered as "Graeme Wingate" with a false address. Well which "Graeme Wingate" owns it. Have to shut it down and find out when he rings.

The really really big deal was they were going to sell them off in 6 days even though all paid up until 2013.

Also my registration was OK and I am still looking into this

Have a look at this post from Dickie Armour which I got through data protection.

http://nominetissues.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/118/

and 3 months on

http://nominetissues.wordpress.com/

GreyWing
10-10-12, 10:19 PM
Hi Nick,

Certainly feel for you on it mate, its a tough one for me because my sites are being penalised in Google by being out ranked by sites with fake whois details that pop up again in a day or two under a slightly different url. I thinkg I'm on record calling for them to be closed, but these were clearly fraudulent sites with equally fraudulent whois details.

However things like the active website on them, your registration length, age of domain and quality of sites should have been an indication that you were a legit owner. Certainly sounds like you have suffered a bit....

What kind of names are we talking about, good quality etc or more important to you than monetary value. Trying to get a motivation for them doing this that's all?

Are they still trying to sell them off?

What did you ask on the data protection thing to get that document. Btw it is good to see Dickie being mildly upset by it.

nickgom
11-10-12, 01:07 PM
Hi GeryWing have a look at this email I did not get from Nominet http://nominetissues.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/64/ because back in 1999 the registrar used to put their contact details down as the admin contact. I am talking 13 years ago and I used to speak top Bo at UK2.net when they were the first to offer low cost domains.

Now look at the last paragraph in the above link and read the last bit were they were going to sell them off www.Racehorsetrainers.co.uk is number one in Google worth over £50,000 and it was closed down. TheSportOfKings domain name hold all the news for Sir Henry Cecil, Roger Charlton, Gordon Elliot who won the grand nation Ferdy Murphy just look at www.RacingWebs.com to see the list of racehorse trainers this affected. Got a load of strong words off all of these guys and potentially I have lost two sites over this.

Then Carl Llewellyn the famous jockey that won two grand nationals site was not only suspended but if I did not get back to them they would have been sold off. Toatl value of these domain names all paid up until 2013 over £100,000

Nominet total liability from their contract £5000 Fasthosts liability £50. I would have been ruined.

Diabolical you can probably see why I was a bit pissed off and they are still doing it now.

Also at the end of the day my details were spot on. Jensen Associates a registered partnership with the Tax office and owner of 100 domain of .com where there is no issues there.

My address was current, my partners names was there and my phone number was OK. However BO still had his email address as the admin contact. I have registered over 1000 domain since 1999

Hope that helps
Nick