PDA

View Full Version : Clicks on paid search listings on Google were nearly double the number of organic

Mojoco
19-07-12, 12:29 PM
Clicks on paid search listings on Google were nearly double the number of organic clicks..................Sponsored results, represented 64.6% of clicks on SERPs for commercial searches, while organic clicks only accounted for 35.4%.

http://searchengineland.com/clicks-on-ads-127844

I have to say that I'm surprised such a high percentage click on sponsored results.

rob
19-07-12, 12:32 PM
Is it a reflection on SERP generated by google et al?

if the quality of the results drops, then less relevant stuff gets shown.

Likewise as PPC becomes more common, and its peoples own cash at stake, they are after targeted stuff so in turn the ads themselves become hyper relevant to the search terms / phrases?

If I am doing a generic commercial search the top results will probably be gamed anyhow!

Mojoco
19-07-12, 12:56 PM
Is it a reflection on SERP generated by google et al?

if the quality of the results drops, then less relevant stuff gets shown.

Likewise as PPC becomes more common, and its peoples own cash at stake, they are after targeted stuff so in turn the ads themselves become hyper relevant to the search terms / phrases?

If I am doing a generic commercial search the top results will probably be gamed anyhow!

Makes absolute sense Rob.

Does that imply with the natural results becoming less relevant to the visitor that Google becomes less useful ?

Edwin
19-07-12, 01:36 PM
Google's ideal mix would be 100% paid, 0% organic if they felt they could get away with it. And every change they make to the SERPS layout is aimed at shifting the balance A) to more paid clicks and B) to clicks on other Google properties, where they have a chance at A)

rob
19-07-12, 01:45 PM
Makes absolute sense Rob.

Does that imply with the natural results becoming less relevant to the visitor that Google becomes less useful ?

Google is a default now, so even if they served up the same site for every query from midnight people would still use the damn thing...

If you ask questions to google its still streets ahead of Bing or the like.

People are smartening up all the time in terms of online so that has to be factored in to the bigger picture.