PDA

View Full Version : New Hope for Yahoo!?

atlas
17-07-12, 01:11 AM
Yahoo! has hired Marissa Mayer as its CEO:
http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=692230

Her search expertise is formidable and if she can get Google talent to jump ship to Yahoo that would be great... OTOH, Yahoo! is so broken, one wonders if anyone, no matter how talented, can fix it.

In any event, very exciting news and I wish her the best.

Edwin
17-07-12, 09:27 AM
Yahoo still have bucketloads of traffic to play with, so if she can help spearhead some revolutionary things to do with that traffic, it may be able to save itself.

aZooZa
17-07-12, 09:52 AM
Yahoo still have bucketloads of traffic to play with, so if she can help spearhead some revolutionary things to do with that traffic, it may be able to save itself.
I agree, and to steer clear of that bottomless pit called 'social media'. She comes with a pedigree of 'proper' technical skills. Wishing her and Yahoo well.

Edwin
17-07-12, 10:59 AM
Yes, their best bet is to let Google tie its own shoelaces together tilting at the windmill that is Google+ and then outflank it nimbly in some other area.

GreyWing
17-07-12, 02:52 PM
Just watching some analysts on Bloomberg saying that they are too far behind in search now to get back into that. They lost all their intellectual property to Bing years ago. Not sure how true that was but they seemed convinced that it was not the way yahoo was going to go, which is a shame.

rob
18-07-12, 10:49 AM
I would agree on that front, some stuff that Yahoo owns could be massive.

To a degree google points people to content, whereas Yahoo owns alot of content. That in itself ought to count as a massive plus.

Edwin
18-07-12, 02:30 PM
It's a labour-intensive business, but Yahoo's directory was really, really strong for the first few years. Perhaps they'd consider reviving that - sure, it's a moving target, but in most categories the new sites coming on-stream are thin, MFA type sites not massive destination/resource sites...