PDA

View Full Version : 60 ays before transfer? - quick question

Kate
09-07-12, 05:04 PM
hi all, i have a bit of a noob question here. I sold a domain (dont ask :o) on sedo and i am at the stage where i need to transfer the domain over. However, when i go into my fasthosts account where the domain resides, it says:

"It is not presently possible to transfer this domain name to another domain registration provider, the transfer of .co.uk domains is restricted until they have been registered at least 60 days."

had no idea so now im a bit stuck on what to do. Can i not transfer it from our Nominet account instead or does that have same limitations?

Edwin
09-07-12, 05:47 PM
That's an invented restriction. You can register a .co.uk domain and transfer it 10 seconds later. They must have a standard control panel programmed for GTLDs (which do have a 60-day restriction) and they've forgotten to add some exception code for .co.uk names.

Kate
09-07-12, 05:59 PM
So any idea how i can go about transfering it? I changed the contact details to reflect our nominet's email address but the domain has not shown up in that account...

Edwin
09-07-12, 08:10 PM
Speak to Fasthosts support team. If that doesn't work, try phoning Nominet support and explain to them what's happening i.e. your Registrar is blocking your transfer claiming a 60 day rule, and ask them what to do.

Kate
09-07-12, 08:26 PM
Thanks Edwin, ill call them tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for your help. Rgds, Kate.

grantw
09-07-12, 08:29 PM
You need to be going through Nominet anyway as that's the only way to transfer the ownership of the domain. Assuming that the email change at fasthosts has actually worked you may need to do a password reset on your Nominet account to force the domain to show:

http://secure.nominet.org.uk/auth/access-your-account.html

You don't actually need to change the password, you can just enter the existing one again.

Grant

Kate
09-07-12, 09:56 PM
tried as you suggested Grant but it did not work. The domain is still not showing up in our Nominet account. I also updated the email address again in case the first time did not trigger but no luck. Will call them tomorrow.

Kate
10-07-12, 03:01 PM
All sorted now. Thanks for the advice everyone.