PDA

View Full Version : DL Sale: ulp.co.uk (180 GBP)

AutoBot
03-07-12, 12:46 PM
Sold price: £180, Ended on: 2012-07-03 12:32:45

More... (http://domainlore.co.uk/ulp.co.uk)

atlas
03-07-12, 09:51 PM
This is the lowest price for an LLL.co.uk that I recall. There was one that previously went for £185.

GreyWing
04-07-12, 08:51 PM
Some people may think it is bad, you might have lost £100 if you bought them a few years ago. It's the LL guys that I worry for, they must realise that they got took to the cleaners (short to mid therm that is) 10 years they may get their money back.

Not really mentioning Angie and co here as she can afford to stock pile and play the long game. But anyone wanting to cash in now is in trouble.

Kate
07-07-12, 08:17 PM
Hi GreWing. Can you expand on the background for this as i dont really understand what you mean? Did they cost a lot of money when they were released?

atlas
08-07-12, 01:54 AM
I don't want to put words in Graeme's mouth, but I think he's saying that LL.co.uk prices are following a similar path as LLL.co.uk prices, but since the dollar amounts involved are much higher, the losses are much higher.

aZooZa
08-07-12, 03:47 AM
Here's a list over at Ty's site:

http://exacts.co.uk/nominet-short-domain-auctions-who-got-what/

GreyWing
08-07-12, 06:55 AM
Hi GreWing. Can you expand on the background for this as i dont really understand what you mean? Did they cost a lot of money when they were released?

Hi Kate, Yep Jeff is correct. Unlike other names released on the .uk extension via the first come first served rule the LL's were done via a auction setup and some went for a pretty penny. Some LL's with meaning were decent buys, things like IQ, PR etc were ok as they had a purpose but in my opinion the random LL's which had no meaning will struggle to get their money back for a very long time.

I think what we are seeing at the moment it that trying to rank a random LLL or LL is very tough work and takes just as much money to rank for a key term as it did to buy the name in the first place. If ask me would I rather have an LL to run a site on or an EMD, I'd take the EMD everyday evne if it was 20 letters long.

I don't want to put words in Graeme's mouth, but I think he's saying that LL.co.uk prices are following a similar path as LLL.co.uk prices, but since the dollar amounts involved are much higher, the losses are much higher.

Spot on mate, although very few have hit the reseller market recently I really do fear for them.

rob
08-07-12, 12:08 PM
The LL stuff was auction hype and fever , very easy to get caught up in it.

I was after a handful and made my own valuations. Most went for double and triple.

Bear in mind my valuations were optimistic with a 'bang an extra 500 quid ontop as no point losing it for the sake of £150' etc.

I know a few who flipped a few so current holdings have washed their own face (well done guys!) however I do feel for those who punted 4-5 figs on one or two hoping for something massive.

In my mind is there really much difference between WC.co.uk and WCL.co.uk if I run The Widget Co Ltd ? Besides, Widgets.co.uk is what I really want!

Kate
08-07-12, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the explanation guys. I think I would have liked to have an LL.co.uk for the same reason I would want an LLL.co.uk... it looks good on your business card and that’s about it. not really brandable (how many LLL or LLs do you know from TV or radio campaigns?) and useless for SEO as it currently stands.

GreyWing
08-07-12, 05:48 PM
Agreed great for brands but not many out of those that bought them have money to make them brands. Usually unless you have one hell of a product, brands cost a absolute fortune.

Something like moonpig is a great example, of what it takes to make a brand from scratch. On the upside of branding though is the fact that you will really be top of google. When I say top, I mean top because you can trademark a brand and ban the adverts from appearing above and aside of you. Like say "hpi check" for example.